1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yep. Brexit uncertainty and a low pound is good for hedge funds and good for London. Our equities and some staples selling to our domestic market are quite undervalued. Buy a few British assets and put them in your child's investment fund and they could afford to come to the UK as a foreign student in a few years.

2. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Behind a paywall, so can’t read; what are they buying?

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You did not.
    I am under moderation dont forgret. The post I answered was different a few minutes after I started to answer,

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A bit like trickle down economics then;)

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Well I did, maybe you weren't clear enough in what you were trying to say.
    I can't remember if I edited it in the period allowed. I didn't know you were being moderated.

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Assets according to the bit before the fadeout. Also indicates that the lower pound is a contributing factor.

This could be good or it could be a double edge sword further down the line depending upon how things go.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Mainly large-scale property such as the London Gherkin (hotels, apartment blocks etc) and investment in fast-growing companies that primarily serve a British customer base. The weaker pound makes UK assets cheaper while prices in the US have become expensive, hence the shift to investment in the UK. Much the same as the Norwegian Soveriegn Wealth Fund (the largest investment fund in the world) which announced in February that it is increasing its current £62.5 billion investment in the UK, whatever the outcome of Brexit. It is a co-owner of Regent Street, a major shareholder in HSBC, BP and others, and holds a good deal of UK government debt.

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its good that foreign investors are ignoring Sir John Redwood's advice to invest outside the UK, perhaps he sees a UK credit crunch on the horizon as our economy is so reliant on domestic consumer spending.

https://www.ft.com/content/2c68763c-bd85-11e7-823b-ed31693349d3

"I sold out of the general share ETFs in the UK after their great performance for the year from early July 2016 when I saw the last Budget and heard the BoEs credit warnings. The money could be better put to work in places where the authorities are allowing credit to expand a bit, to permit faster growth".

Sensible and prudent perhaps, but why is a Conservative MP who advocates a hard Brexit advising people not to invest in our country?

irs1054 likes this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is in the past, forget it.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Strange how this has escaped the media and the public?

A few days old but interesting.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Then we have the smoking gun:

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Seen it before, its Steve Bakers anti business position. But if the Tories continue to bite the Corporate hand that feeds, theyre finished. Its big business and the CBI that are leaning on the government for a close as possible deal.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The problem is that business and the CBI etc are not elected to govern and so escape accountability. Brexit was about much more than business.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A nice little starter for ten:)

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

At least until they start cutting your pension in line with drops in the tax take... then the tone will change.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well good news is as we are stil in the club we are in charge of the EU whilethe continental members all go on holiday for Easter. Bet we do a better job just to make them realise what idiots thyeare to not belive in us being able to leave and tp trat out negotiators so shabbily.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A bit like selling off the family silver again and again.

20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter