1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Mr_P55, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Mr_P55

Mr_P55 New commenter

Hiya.

I won’t bore people with my life story but I’m considering leaving the teaching profession and wanted some advice.

Firstly, I don’t even know where to start. I have no idea what I would like to do.
    I love the pastoral side of teaching and I am genuinely passionate about the plight of the students I teach but I’m very disillusioned with the profession at present and wanted to explore options.

If anyone has any advice on where to start and what might be available, that would be amazing.

It might be that a change of school is what I need but I’m still figuring that out.

Thank you all in advance.

Kyle

2. EmilyLParry

EmilyLParry New commenter

Hi Kyle,

I just wanted to give you my two pence on this situation.

I decided nearly two years ago now that I didn’t want to teach anymore, promptly handed my notice in and started looking for a new job outside of teaching. I eventually found a new post - teaching. The irony now is that I miss teaching secondary and am desperate to get back into a school.

Very similarly to you, I love the pastoral side of teaching and I’ve been doing this in FE, whilst teaching simultaneously. I think, for me anyway, it was a case of the wrong school at the wrong time. It might be worth trying somewhere else before you decide that teaching isn’t the right career for you - purely because, based on my experience, it’s much harder to go back to once you leave. I’m always very conscious that there are younger and cheaper options for every school, who haven’t taken a step out of teaching.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

Emily

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Arnie put it so well:

sebedina likes this.
  4. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I am afraid as a long term supply teacher who often does contracts as well as short term, I see the same issues very frequently. Constant learning walks, undermining of teachers, no notice observations, observations, massive workload, massive expectations, always never good enough...

Having said that, I have come across some lovely staff and lovely people in a variety of schools. The system is broken. You may be happier in another school but the majority of the above issues are happening. You may wish to read the Supply Teacher's blog of today about how some SLT behave.

Think about it and maybe make a list of advantages/disadvantages. Read up on various blogs here to see what is going on in other schools to become more informed. Good luck.

P.S. I no longer do permanent jobs. I do long term supply and also have another avenue of work. I am much happier.

5. roberwilson_01

roberwilson_01 New commenter

If you are leaving the teaching job and want some changes. You can join the online private tutoring centre for tutoring. It will also help you to earn some income and also you can strong your teaching skill. It will be the best idea for you to start again.

Best of luck....