1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Becky_2107, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Becky_2107

Becky_2107 New commenter

Hi all.
    I'm an RQT and seriously considering leaving teaching. I absolutely love working with kids, but I can't handle the pressure - I'm constantly worrying I've done something wrong.
    Anyway, I really can't think what else I can do that will pay the bills. I would like to try Youth Work, but I don't have any NVQ's and can't afford to volunteer.
    Any suggestions on what I can do, with a Forensic Science degree, PGCE and QTS would be very gratefully received.
    Thank you in advance.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Hello :)
    I suggest popping over to the Workplace Dilemmas forum on this site as there is a permanently pinned thread specifically containing the sort of information you want. It'll certainly give you a few ideas if nothing else.
    Good luck with it all.

3. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

Hi Becky.
    Have you considered private tutoring or working with a community youth project in an educational capacity?
    I'm training in FE but I'm hoping to work in community-based education as it seems more person-centred and I find the college environment quite pressured and overly exam driven. I know two teachers who work for a youth charity and their jobs seem more interesting and enjoyable than more traditional teaching roles.
    I hope this helps :) .

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, how very sad . . . Here is the thread that may be helpful to you

Possible other careers

Best wishes