1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mazda1, Nov 18, 2015.

1. mazda1

mazda1 New commenter

Hi,
    I have been a teacher for nearly ten years have taught a abroad and in the UK. I have realised that teaching is for me no more. I have been teaching in the early years and my current job is my first permanent contract in the UK, had mainly been doing supply or temporary contracts until then. Need advice on what I can do next, have to carry on till the end of this school year as I am getting married in august. Could I become a teaching assistant? Any help much appreciated.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Only you can decide that really. We don't know you as a person, where you are, what skills you have etc. A good starting place is to use some of the career matching websites. Not all great i admit, but they will allow you to consider what skills you have, and equally importantly, what is important to you in a job.
    You could, but 1) don't assume that because you are a teacher you are therefore a shoe-in for such job. They are sought after by burnt out teachers and actual qualified TAs alike. 2) Don't know your position, but do be aware that the pay is low. A fraction of what you will earn as a teacher. Depends how important earning a certain wage is to you. 3) It also sounds like you are younger (getting married) or at least have a significant part of a working life to go. There are limited opportunities to progress as a TA. Not everyone is bothered about that, but if you are going to have to work for 30 odd years more, is something to consider.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do read this before you start doing your sums about being a TA

Should I become a TA?

Best wishes