1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Teaching

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ellie_rose, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi everyone. I need some advice.

I've started a new job in my fifth year of Primary teaching, following a period of private tutoring after leaving my previous school at Easter after a rough period as the school was in Special Measures. I wasn't enjoying the job and wanted to see whether a new school with a change of environment would make me start enjoying teaching again. My private tuition contracts were ending so I thought, why not? I saw a job at a school that seemed lovely and jumped at the chance when they offered me a job.

It's two weeks in and so far, it's been awful. Terrible behaviour from the children around the school and in class, unsupportive SLT who 'drop in' daily and criticise everything, hundreds of new schemes that have been implemented with no time to set them up, unhappy staff and impossible expectations. I feel sad and regret taking the job as it's worse than my last school. I've gone from feeling like a good teacher to being made to feel useless as I'm criticised so much.

I want to leave at Christmas as I know this school isn't for me. I want to leave teaching altogether and start again. I can support myself financially for a while but I'm worried about telling them as they aren't going to be happy that I started in September and am leaving a few months later. What reason can I give for leaving? That it isn't the right environment for me? Should I say I'm moving away? Any advice? I don't know what to do but I know I can't stay here.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am really sorry that you have had not one but two bad experiences in schools, Ellie. That's really hard for you.

Why not turn this round, and say that you realise that you aren't the right teacher for them? However, you actually do not have to give any reason if you don't want to. Just that you have decided to leave.

They may not be too pleased at having to go through appointment procedures again, but Tough! That's part of their job.

You don't have to give in your notice until the end of October, but once you are really really REALLY sure that you wish to leave, then give them earlier notice so that they have more time to get a replacement.

Leaving dates and resignation dates

Here is the sort of thing to write:

Date

Dear Mr Smith

Resignation from post of Teacher at Grungy Green School

I wish to inform you that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st January 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 31 December 2015, and my last date of attendance will be (put in date of last day of term).

I am sending this letter before the resignation date of 31 October in order to give the school more time and flexibility in the appointment of a replacement teacher for my class. I shall of course ensure that my remaining months working with the pupils of Year ???? of Grungy Green School will be concentrating fully, as usual, on both their academic and personal development.

Yours sincerely,

A.N.O. Teacher

Hand the letter in to the school secretary, make a copy and keep it carefully, having jotted down the date that you handed it in.

But do think about it very carefully before you do resign, although you may feel that once you have made the decision and given in your letter, you will feel relieved.

And now for another subject: some other possibilities for you

I want to leave teaching

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Thanks so much for your quick reply Theo, that's really helpful. I will have a look at the leaving teaching link :) would you recommend informally speaking to the headteacher before handing in the resignation letter?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends how brave you feel . . .

[​IMG]

If you want to chicken out, you could, but it would be politer if you could speak to the Head.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Ellie rose

If you do decide to leave your present school, you could try supply until you find something different. Supply teaching is very flexible and it does give you opportunities to see and work in many different places but without the planning, marking, and constant scrutiny. It is not for everyone, but it is always something you can do if you need to; and depending on where you are in the country the daily rate can be good.