1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Jun 13, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I need to leave teaching. It's a tough decision but I know it's right. I don't even know where to start looking for non teaching jobs though.
    I haven't got a clue what I want to do so that doesn't help!
    Help!

2. Hmm. Don't know if this helps, but I'm considering leaving too. It's a hard choice, isn't it?

3. slippeddisc

Really hard. You invest so much money, time and energy in training and in actually doing the job only for it to be a waste of years!
    My hard part is I have made the decision but I can't see where I'll end up. I have no partner and no financial support at all.

4. I stopped teaching when a temporary post ended last August. I haven't entirely figured out what I'm doing next- I've been using savings to have a 'year out', think about it, do some volunteering (which I've really enjoyed) and seriously seriously train for my sport.
    I may just go back to admin, or try to get back into conservation as they are more of 'leave it at 5pm' jobs, so I can have my life and also feel useful

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If I knew what else I could do, I'd be doing it...

6. I'm leaving too but lucky as got a job elsewhere . I cant wait !

7. slippeddisc

I wish! I have no savings. This could backfire on me completely but I know I can't stay like this. My health and life is suffering.

8. slippeddisc

Doing what? Well done.

9. I'm totally with you there Slippeddisc. My health is suffering too and I'm hating it. I'd love to get into educational publishing but it's hard to get a foot in the door!

10. I'm glad I am not the only one!! am so misrable at the mo. But God know's what else I'd do. I just find it so hard and challenging. Not coping well at all! Let us know what job you end up doing. All the best...xxx

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

if you relly feel you have to go its also good to know why..and then use that as a guide to what not to apply for.there are large numbers of teachers leaving dou to the pressure schools are putting on them.and the leaders and ministers are idiot eneough not to recognise this
    What jobs..well the first answer is anything which gives you an income. sometimes in life trying the different often brings suprises and new ways of looking at life..You need to sit down and writedown strengths and weaknesses , intersts etc..........just let the list grow and make sure you also put down the things you like and dislike. then once you have done this yo wil have mapped your life and wishes.Then start the process of which jobs match your likes/dislikes .
    Then look what is needed to get in to those, ask and see if you can get some experience....or simply apply crafting your CV to match the criterea..You are going to meet a lot of rejection, but their are ways in.even if you set up your own accademy

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I'm desperate to get out too. My teaching job has been completely messed up for September due to us converting to an academy.
    I have a family to support and guess I could get by on around 20k if I really cut back.
    I just don't want to work in a school anymore. I've had so many stupid reorgs and false promises this year, I'd love to walk away....

13. Jeez, I don't want to leave, I want to STAY. I like teaching! But things up in Scotland are a terrible, rage-inducing mess right now. As a supply teacher, my wages have been cut by 47%. How I wish I'd kept that 0.2 permanent contract now! No jobs, very little supply. I need to get past being angry, and now have to be practical. Sigh.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm keeping my head above water with supply for now but am mindful that it might not last forever. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) lies beyond the current maternity cover I'm doing. I suspect it's going to be a cut in earnings, as the few schools who still pay to scale switch to agency flat rate. If supply completely fails on me I'll fall back on savings and consider paying to retrain. I quite fancy the idea of getting a Light Goods or Public Service Vehicle driving licence as a fall-back measure. I've reached the stage where I'd consider anything legal that pays the bills, but full-time teaching is definitely out.

15. Sorry I have no great ideas to offer but just wanted to say it will never be a waste of your time, whatever you go on to do next. Teaching gives you a wide variety of skills and experiences that will be of benefit whatever you go on to do afterwards.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm in the same boat, as you might know. We are being forced out of the profession by what's happening up here. It's more than a 47% pay cut is it not though? I know that figure keeps getting bandied about, but by my calculations I will drop from potentially earning £34k in August to potentially earning £14k (ruling out the miracle of a maternity leave or similar). I am applying for teaching jobs far and wide but if I don't manage to bag anything by July, then we will have to take our house of the market as we will not be able to afford to live anywhere else and I will have to start looking at applying for alternative work, and consider just about anything in the short term, to tide us over financially. I am the main breadwinnner in the house. We have already tightened our belts a fair bit just to deal with the cost of living . . . . . .I dread to think how tight things are going to get if I'm still on supply come August. It's a real worry.

17. It's MORE than 47%? Good grief, I thought that was as awful as it could possibly get, but no!
    To be honest Kibosh, I've gone a bit listless wrt applying for jobs. Myjobscotland is the pishiest site EVER, and I'm sick of it. Obviously that's not the main reason I've stopped applying for now, but it's one of the reasons I'm putting it off. Saying that I've had an e-mail from Myjobscotland reminding me I have an incomplete application.
    In my subject there are very few jobs that aren't part-time (by part-time I'm talking about one or even a half day a week) temporary. At the same time.
    I really didn't envisage this happening, even last year (which is why I left my permanent job - if i'd foreseen this situation I would've hung on grimly.)
    Anyway Kibosh, you have my total sympathy, obviously. I really hope something comes up for you. x

18. I am considering leaving teaching - but I haven't even started teaching yet! I have been unable to secure an NQT post and I simply cannot afford it anymore so I have started applying for jobs elsewhere.
    At the moment I have been applying for literally everything as I need the money. One job I am particularly interested in involves working with disabled children/adults and helping them get involved in the community. This sounds perfect to me and much more satisfying than being subject to the abuse I have found to be common in most schools!
    The jobs I have found have all been on the job centre website. You could try doing some voluntary work in different sectors which might help you discover an area in which you would like to work. Do-it is a good website for volunteering opportunities.
    Good luck!

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I was at the point of leaving teaching in 2001 after 21 years.
    Persistant changing of goalposts, SMT creating ever more complex 'systems' for us to follow in all areas of teaching -- just to say they were 'at the forefront of education' (and grab the glory), kids who were unappreciative, parents ditto all pushed me towards this.
    Financially I could not afford to give up, and as a teacher had little option of another job giving similar security and income.
    In the end I moved overseas (Saudi first of all followed by 2 moves since then).
    It was a Godsend and re-invigorated my passion for teaching, for my subject and for life in general.
    I would seriously recommend it as an option for anybody fed up with teaching in UK.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've applied for all the ones I can from what's currently advertised.
    I wrote them a really cheeky (not like me at all I know [​IMG]) email telling them exactly that. Strangely enough I received a very pleasant and human reply from a woman who became my 'bestest buddy' for a week there, due to the fact that I emailed her everytime I ran into problems = frequently.
    And you [​IMG]