1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching - what are my options

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mie_chivs, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if you could all help me out a bit. I am having a really rubbish time at my school at the moment, but have been considering leaving teaching for a while now. Ive fallen out of love with teaching, I find it too stressful, I barely get a weekend and Im fed up of all the politics that goes along with teaching - ofsted, pay, pension etc. I want a job that I can have more of a life outside of.
    I have a degree in Primary Education with English and I do like being with the children, but I have other passions as well. I love cooking and baking and I like organising people, things and events. The problem I have is I NEED an income. My boyfriend has a teaching job, but is only in his first year, so isnt on too much. We have a mortgage and are getting married in the summer, so just upping and leaving my job is not an option.
    I dont mind taking a small pay cut (no less than £20,000 really), and would really like to use the skills I have aquired, but that I am also passionate about and will enjoy. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what job I could go into. I am always willing to learn new skills, but as I have said, I cannot afford to quit my job to learn new skills.
    Please please help me if you have any ideas! My time teaching has come to an end and the sooner I can leave, the better! Thank you!

2. Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if you could all help me out a bit. I am having a really rubbish time at my school at the moment, but have been considering leaving teaching for a while now. Ive fallen out of love with teaching, I find it too stressful, I barely get a weekend and Im fed up of all the politics that goes along with teaching - ofsted, pay, pension etc. I want a job that I can have more of a life outside of.
    I have a degree in Primary Education with English and I do like being with the children, but I have other passions as well. I love cooking and baking and I like organising people, things and events. The problem I have is I NEED an income. My boyfriend has a teaching job, but is only in his first year, so isnt on too much. We have a mortgage and are getting married in the summer, so just upping and leaving my job is not an option.
    I dont mind taking a small pay cut (no less than £20,000 really), and would really like to use the skills I have aquired, but that I am also passionate about and will enjoy. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what job I could go into. I am always willing to learn new skills, but as I have said, I cannot afford to quit my job to learn new skills.
    Please please help me if you have any ideas! My time teaching has come to an end and the sooner I can leave, the better! Thank you!

3. Hi,
    I have been feeling like this over the past year and finally took the plunge to start applying for new jobs after easter last year. In january i am starting work as a school liaison co-ordinator at a college where I will put on events and activities for schools coming in and visit schools in the local area. I can't wait!! I saw that a lot of people were in the same situation and so I've started a blog to record hwo it goes through my final term at school and into my new job. Follow the blog and maybe it will help you come to a decision.
    Good luck.
    http://missdrama1.wordpress.com/

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

A nursery manager for a private nursery or similar?
    Or a NVQ Assessor of people taking the NVQ (now called Diploma) in Child Care or in Teaching and Learning in Schools.
    I was a secondary teacher and left as it wasn't for me and became a NVQ Assessor and I love it. It is not for everyone. For me I enjoy it because I work from home, manage my own diary which means I have great flexibility and I only have to manage one learner at a time!! Of course there are the downsides e.g. pressure from your company to meet targets, learners who constantly cancel etc. but you can actually book yourself admin time, it doesn't have to be in your own time like teaching!
    I earn 21k for this and also get mileage paid which actually bumps up my salary as it is far higher than the true cost of my mileage even if you do add in wear and tear of your car.
    I paid to take the Assessor Award which was about £700 and studied this while I was still teaching, to be honest it only took me 6 weeks and didn't take much of my own time. It meant that along with my teaching qualification I had lots of job offers to choose from and made the change from teaching quite easily.

5. Hi all,
    I had to reply to this thread, as you may know if you have seen my other thread ('maybe just not suited to teaching') I am feeling exactly like this. I could have written your thread. I have a degree in primary education and love baking and crafty things but apart from that have no idea what else I could do. Teaching has caused a return of my depression and I am sitting here now feeling sick at the thought of going into work today, I am really struggling, I am so stressed and unhappy and want my life back, I feel like such a failure but I can't cope anymore.
    I like on my own so can't really afford to drop in salary so I feel like I will not be able to find another job that is viable for me. I feel trapped and I am getting panicky and don't know what to do. I am really pleased that some of you have been able to get out and seem much happier, I wish that was me, any advice would be so welcome,
    x

6. Michael_Westen

Michael_Westen New commenter

Hi there, you say you like baking, well what about starting a cake decoration business. I myself did photography at night school, left teaching and went into that full time. Daunting, of course, no safety net but I love it.
    There arent enough people making good quality cakes these days. get out there.

7. Have you considered Private Tutoring?

8. You need to find something else!! You can't make yourself ill over a job, you may have to take a paycut and it may take a while to find something that you really want to do but start looking now. Someone on another post suggested mind mapping all of the things you've done as a teacher- organising trips, putting on shows, pastoral care etc... then branch out all of the skills needed for these jobs. These ACTUAL examples of what you can do look amazing in job apps and interviews.
    I'm leaving teachign at christmas and am blogging my time from now into my new role as a school liaison co-ordinator in a college.
    Have a look and good luck!!
    http://missdrama1.wordpress.com/

9. Remember that tutoring could be to primary or secondary aged pupils, especially as you are an English graduate. There must be a market for GCSE tutoring after this year's fiasco! Don't be shy about 1 to 1 with older pupils, as it will probably be very clear what their needs are when you see their writing! If you're doing a lower paid job, it could be a useful financial back-up. Think of how long you spend in the evening marking and preparing. If you haven't got to do that, you'd have time for evening work.

10. Hi, just asking about the assessor award, you have to be able to drive, right? I used to be a ta, so could I assess the teaching assistant awards? I want to use my skills for something else but to be honest anything resembling teaching is freaking me out! What are the hours/ pressure like, compared to teaching?

11. It's not just you, mate. :) going for a lookie at that thread.

12. It's not just you, mate. :) going for a lookie at that thread.

13. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi, yes you need to be able to drive and this is always on the essential criteria.
    You can assess the teaching assistant awards if you have worked in this role. Normally they ask that you have at least a Level 3 yourself and a few years work experience in the sector.
    The set working hours are longer than teaching, I am set to work 36, but I work from home so set my own hours. I am expected to make 12 visits a week, most last 1.5 hrs and I probably spend about 10 hours a week driving. So that's about 28 hours out and about and that leaves me 8 hours a week at home for my admin. In terms of pressure, it a different type of pressure. Like if you don't meet your 12 visit target a week or a learner goes over their targeted completion date. It can be easy to miss both targets when you have learners who constantly cancel meetings.
    My work life balance is much better now though and I am far less stressed and I rarely have to get up early these days like I did as a teacher...