1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching, non teaching job interview question?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by beaglemn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. beaglemn

beaglemn New commenter

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I don't know who else to ask. I am a trainee and have decided I am not going to pursue teaching (my heart is not into it) and I have been applying for other non teaching jobs. We all go back to school next week but my dilemma is that I have a non teaching interview next Fri. I don't think I want to tell the school I am planning on leaving because it just puts me in an awkward situation Should I call in sick for this interview or be honest? Any other suggestions on how to approach this? I am aware it's bank holiday weekend. Many thanks for your feedback.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I always advise being be honest about the reasons for your absence- that is being professional. Exploring other options is always a good phrase to use.

beaglemn likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Don't call in sick - that wouldn't be good. The point is you have a job interview - and I would let the school know.

But I would avoid phrases such as 'my heart is not in it' - better to go down the road of 'I am trying to broaden my experience in other fields first'..

Who knows, it may be that you end up hating life outside of teaching and then you will need people on side.

beaglemn and wanet like this.