1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Leaving Teaching - Logistics

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ml01omm, Sep 27, 2015.

  1. ml01omm

    ml01omm New commenter


    So I am about to become a statistic and jump from teaching within the first 5 years. I am fairly decided, and as I figure I am so low down the salary scale that I actually wouldn't be taking a pay cut if I go now, (as I am being held on current level due to below target exam results).

    I'm starting to look at the logistics. Ideally, now that I've decided, I would want to go at Christmas, but I figure I need time to save some money first to give me a financial buffer. However, am I right in thinking that the resignation deadline for Christmas falls IN half-term (Oct 31st). Would I need to email the Head in half term if I were to decide to go then? Would it be too late if I handed it in on the first monday back? I don't want to do anything before halferm, as I don't get my appraisal until that last day, and I need a few days of clear head space to mull things over.

    If not, - is it possible to leave Febraury half term? Or can you only leave at the ends of term aka Easter (which I guess I can't really leave at Easter as I would be seen as abandoning my GCSE group and would get an awful reference?)

    Finally, assuming the likely scenario that I am forced to stick it out until the end of the school year - what would be the logisitcs of starting a new job? Lets say I was very very lucky, and applied for a new non-teaching job in June/July and got offered one, -would I be able to start in August? (as technically I would still be employed by the school until August 31st).

    Sorry for all the questions - I just want to get a plan in place before I tell the SLT where they can put their Aspirational Targets.
    Ceecees likes this.
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    You may only leave on the standard leaving dates: Dec 31, April 30 and Aug 31st. So, No, you may not leave February half term.

    And yes, it's 31st October.

    My advice is to e-mail the Head on or before 31 October, and if possible also deliver your resignation by hand.

    Do you need help in drafting the letter? Let me know nearer the time.

    Yes, you can do whatever you like in your holiday time, including get paid twice for the month of August!

  3. ml01omm

    ml01omm New commenter


    Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will need help drafting that letter as I will need to bend the truth slightly.

    Another question though - if I were to get a job interview for a non-teaching job, how would I approach getting the time off with the Head? As if it were for another teaching job, I would feel less awkward about asking, if that makes sense.

    Obviously I would be asking to take unpaid leave.

    My issue is, I've seen a relatively suitable non-teaching job that surprisingly has a January start. Were I successful enough to get invited to interview, they would be held before halfterm.

    My qualm is, how do I approach the Head? As if it all comes to nothing, then I would stay out the school year. But if my card is marked as wanting to leave, the head hasn't (in the past) been known to be supportive and makes sure that all rubbish and unenviable tasks are thrown your way for the rest of your time there ( I would probably hand notice in around Easter to finish in July, so as to give school time to recruit). On the other hand, the Head is not a particular fan of me anyway...
  4. Compassman

    Compassman Star commenter

    No problem in asking to go to an interview and the head should let you go (with or without pay). To be honest if they didn't let you go then I'd go anyhow, it's your career for you to decide what you do with it.

    When I went to a non-teaching interview I just told the head I wanted the time off and it was granted. Now just counting the days!
  5. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Oops! I won't help with anything but truthful, I'm afraid . . .

    Just request it, as you would any interview. But do be aware of the leaving date issue . . .

    Just in case, just in case it should run through your head that the simplest way would be to pull a sickie . . . don't. Just don't!

    Why not, in your application, say that because of your commitment to your teaching, it would be preferable if any interview could be timed either after 5pm Mon-Fri, on a Saturday or during the half-term holiday (give dates). They should appreciate a committed point of view.

    Risky strategy . . . if the new employer insists on a reference from your current employer, who would be bound to tell them that you did this, they might withdraw the offer on this basis. Untrustworthy, you see.

    I consider it unlikely that you would not be granted permission, especially if you ask nicely, talk about how you would ensure students don't lose out, etc.

    Good luck
  6. ml01omm

    ml01omm New commenter

    Thank you again for the advice, and no, I wouldn't pull a sickie, far too much risk.

    Also, nothing dodgy going on in terms of my reasons for leaving, its just one of the key drivers is the head herself, whose bullying has contribted toward my desire to leave, but I can't really put that in my resignation letter!
  7. Ceecees

    Ceecees New commenter

    I'm totally in the same position as you. Just had my meeting today, after school. I missed going up the scale because I couldn't work a miracle and bring one class from F/G's to C/B's in 9 months. All my other classes made above expected progress.

    I feel like I've made no progression and worked so hard every day/night/holiday and weekend for nothing. I'm totally resentful also of all the extra time and effort I gave up to undertake unpaid additional tasks to be told I am not "good". I missed out on progressing it because I got 'meets standards' on 2 things due to this one class and everything else was good/outstanding.

    Haven't made my mind up if I'm totally leaving the profession (I'm within the first five years also) or just moving on to greener pastures. What is clear is that I despise my current school's unachievable pay related targets.

    Best of luck to you.

Share This Page