1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching - Career ideas?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by megangladwin, Sep 26, 2020.

1. megangladwin

megangladwin New commenter

Hi,

I've been in teaching for 3 years but I'm getting to the stage where I'm feeling that the hours I put in/ pressures are going to seriously effect my mental health and family life if I continue. Has anyone heard the sorts of careers other teachers have pursued or have any ideas on a career that I could pursue please?

A little background info that might help:
    - I enjoy many aspects of the job including:
    • the rewarding aspects
    • the variation in tasks e.g. presentation (teaching), admin, working in a team etc
    - I originally gained a music degree which I'm happy to utilise.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! xx

2. charlieeh

charlieeh New commenter

Music private tutor? Or could you go part time or do supply instead..?
    Affirmed went into events planning for a museum but everything is obviously so uncertain at the mo...

3. BGSG9

BGSG9 New commenter

im in the same situation as you - actually been for a few years and still feel stuck with how to move on. I think a career advisor will be the best person to help; won't be cheap but I think from my personal experience, people dont know how to direct you towards the right path when you tell them youre a teacher who wants to leave the sector.