1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

leaving teaching can I still go through THreshold?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by muffinmops, Sep 10, 2015.

1. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

I have handed my notice in and I am leaving teaching at Christmas.

I have been on main scale 6 for the past two years. Last year I passed my performance management but decided not to apply to go through threshold because I felt so down and disheartened I didn't want to offer any more of myself to whole school responsibilities.

I was thinking that I would like to go through threshold to increase my income before I leave and I may use my teaching skills sometime in the future.

I have already given my notice in, Is it cheeky of me to apply for threshold??

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Yes, and you are unlikely to get it. But if you are leaving teaching for, say bringing up young children and intend to return, then getting the threshold is a good move long term career wise. If you are intending to never return to teaching and everyone knows it, getting threshold is about as likely as Elvis landing on the Moon.

3. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Thanks a lot. I thought as much. I was thinking of the money!! I intend to leave teaching for good.

4. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

...even if you were planning to return to teaching, with the lack of pay portability, being UPS in one school doesn't mean you'd be UPS in another.

I personally think you're going to struggle to show a "sustained and substantial" contribution to the school in the term where your counting down the days so I would think it would be refused.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Try being on capability and resigning, and then see if they'll let you off because you're leaving at Christmas.

6. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Thanks for all your replies- you are right- I cant offer a sustained and substantial contribution in the last term and quite frankly I don't want to!!

can't wait to leave- I'm counting the days.

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Join the club.

70 days I believe........

8. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Good luck compassman.

Every Friday I cross off the days I have just worked on the calender- very sad I know.It's a good feeling knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.