1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching, but no pension just yet

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by PeterQuint, Jun 1, 2019.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Whilst it's not 100% certain, it does now loo like I'll be leaving teaching the of term.

However, I'm not 55 until next year. I'll almost certainly be taking my pension then.

Is there anything I need to do this summer? Do I need to get in touch with TPS and formally leave?

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

No. We just stopped work and our TPS accounts automatically became 'deferred'. When it came time to claim the pension we did it all through the TPS site and the lump sum arrived on time and the first monthly payment is due later this month.

One thing to check before you leave, and I'm sure you have already from reading your other posts, is to make sure your service record is correct. Far easier to badger your employer if there is anything amiss whilst you are still working for them.

3. Prim

Prim New commenter

Good luck Peter, keep us up to date with your journey.

PeterQuint and lindenlea like this.
  4. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

How come you’re leaving early? Had enough? Are you going to try another job?

PeterQuint likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

oh...and buy a calendar!

I never needed one before as everything revolved around the working week, now we have to check it before committing to anything as it's packed!

Prim, PeterQuint and FrankWolley like this.
  6. PeterQuint

Thanks everyone.

I’ll post more details about my ‘journey’ later on.

7. sci

sci New commenter

Good luck. If you can survive without your pension for 1 year-is there anyway you can survive without it until you turn 60? Just thinking about the reduced sum vs benefits now calculations. Good luck in your journey

PeterQuint likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

I’ve looked at that. The amount I gain in 5 years of pension from ages 55-60 substantially outweighs the relatively small uptick in pension if I don’t claim until I’m 60.

HS65 and Prim like this.