1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching before ten year no loan repayment period is up?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by satsumatired, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi. I did a shortage subkect pgce and got a loan during the course that I haven't had to pay back as long as I stay in teaching for ten years. If I leave before ten years, am I expected to pay back remaining lump sum or do they allow instalments? Thanks.

2. Hi. I did a shortage subkect pgce and got a loan during the course that I haven't had to pay back as long as I stay in teaching for ten years. If I leave before ten years, am I expected to pay back remaining lump sum or do they allow instalments? Thanks.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply, but my understanding is that you would just go onto the usual repayment scheme

4. thank you.

5. The SLC will start taking payments from your salary based onyour earnings as usual. If you contact them once you leave an eligible post, they should (eventually) be bale to tell you your outstanding loan amount too. I say eventually, as they have to process the repayment of teacher loans amounts manually I believe as their system can't cope with it. I left the RTL scheme after 5 years, and thereforecame out with a balance of about half my total loan remaining, plus inflation linked interest.