1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching (another post!)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nuclearlaces, Jan 13, 2016.

1. nuclearlaces

nuclearlaces New commenter

Hi everyone, please excuse me if this post is in the wrong place but I have only just joined and am getting used to things.

I have been a lecturer for just under 7 years, moving in to teaching after being a IT technician at a college straight out of uni.

I have recently changed college as the management of my previous college were clueless bullies (told off for wearing jeans and leaving 5 mins before the end of the day!). The new college is ok but it's the same rigmarole everywhere you, as you are all aware, funding, attendance, achievement, etc.

My tipping point came when a student at my previous college called me the 'c' word and I was still expected to support the learner through his course and help him achieve. That was the moment teaching ended for me, obviously I still have bills so that's why I thought a new place would be a little change.

However long term I would still like to leave as I want a job where I am treated like an adult. I have enough IT skills in web development, software development and IT support to help me teach but nothing to help me get back into industry. I've applied at lots of places and not been shortlisted for anything but teaching job. Obviously I am aware I will have to drop my salary but any tips for breaking in to IT with little "real world" experience?

Finally, I would never recommend anyone joins teaching, in my opinion I have not found anything positive to say about it as everything new we are hit with just negates the positives in my eyes.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You say you want a "job where I am treated as an adult", having reported that your current employer will not allow you to wear jeans or leave early. Many, many employers (a) have a dress code which requires at least semi-formal attire (and few will allow jeans to be worn) and (b) expect employees to be in work from and until specific hours.

That these are the things about working in education that you feel mean you are NOT "treated as an adult" don't bode well for your finding a job where you're allowed to do as you like, to be brutally honest. Most adults in professional settings accept that they will be expected to meet certain standards of dress and behaviour.

My main tip for your breaking into industry, therefore, is to understand that many employers will have even higher and more rigorous standards of conduct than your current college does.

purplecarrot, wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Whilst I hate to sound unsupportive, I can't think of many jobs where you can dress however you like and leave when you feel like it (whilst being paid).

There are people who are on here who are bullied and I'm not convinced that being asked to meet basic professional standards constitutes bullying.

4. nuclearlaces

nuclearlaces New commenter

Thanks for your response, condescending and helpful at the same time.

I should state - although I thought it was evident that after 7 years at an organisation I am fairly sure I know what my employer expects from me - that the wearing of jeans was during a staff development day and the leaving early issue was because all my colleagues had left already but for some reason I couldn't.

Picking apart posts of those looking for advice must be really fun and exciting for you. :rolleyes:

petenewton likes this.
  5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Perhaps you should have given all the details in your OP. People on here give advice on the basis of what you write. Being told you can't wear jeans on a "dress down day" and were told you couldn't leave but everyone else could puts a completely different slant on it.

6. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Now with that information, the post is quite different.
    People will give advice based on the information given. Your original post reads 'I'm fed up with teaching and leaving because I've been told not wear jeans and somebody told me I couldn't leave work early.'
    If you'd said 'I was singled out on a dress down day and was held to a different standard to others' then the responses would have been different.

CWadd likes this.
  7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Part of 'giving advice' is pointing out where people are being unrealistic in their expectations.

8. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

I think many posts in this forum are very supportive. The issue here may be that some understand kids make mistakes and getting into teaching is about understanding that and sticking by a pupil. Over the years I have had far worse than the c word thrown at me but kids are kids and moving forward would always be the way to go.
    I appreciate you find the uniform/time thing annoying but it's not too unrealistic to make small changes to keep the peace on those things.
    There are many great aspects to teaching and some may feel less empathy with you as, to some, it may read "I am better than this".
    All the best with your future plans. I know I couldn't do any other job purely based on the one who called me the c*** is likely to be one I shake the hand of in August when I know I have helped add a bit of good to their future, academic or otherwise.

foxtail3 and CWadd like this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you were not complying with the general conditions of employment re: dress code and timekeeping, then this is not bullying.

However, if no other staff were required to comply, and you were singled out for non-compliance, then that is a different manner.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you here. This is a forum for helping people with employment in education, specifically in teaching. I have absolutely no knowledge of the I.T. industry and what its requirements are.

Have you tried googling Jobs in IT to find out what they are looking for? That might be helpful. Sorry that I can't be!

Best wishes

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have to admit that when I read your original post, the words laugh, a and having sprang to mind!Wearing jeans?! Leaving early?!

However, your clarification (which does put a different slant on things) is interesting! Most workplaces let you wear whatever you want (within reason) on dress down days! However, you seem to have found that funny workplace where what you can/cannot wear is as logical as your typical entry criteria for the nightclub 'Apres!'

If everyone else was told they could leave but not you this seems odd? Were you being told off about your jeans by any chance?

The swearing - if you are to last any length of time in teaching (at any level) I have to side against you here. You have to swallow your pride. The only way forward, as I learned the hard way is to forgive and repair. Don't take anything kids (and indeed adolescent 18/19 year olds in college) say personally. Remember, their teenage brains are still developing so unfortunately you have to accept that you happen to be a **** in little Johnny's eyes one day!

11. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

I know of the prospects website where you can find out information on hundreds of careers. It tells you an overall summary of the job, salary, what requirements will be needed, training & other similar roles so it links together. This may be a useful website to get more general info about IT jobs?

12. PrincessR786

PrincessR786 New commenter

I'm sorry the posts haven't been helpful. I can understand how you're feeling. Take a year off and try getting work experience here and there and see how it goes or see if you can get anything over the summer. There are alot of people who have changed careers (especially from TEACHING!!!). It maybe better to get advice from people who are already in IT. I've found that fellow teachers are the worse to get advice from unless they've left the job!