1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching and tutoring full time... help!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SJRose23, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I would return to a school, but I'm too expensive. So I earn more for fewer hours working at home. Crazy! I might re enter teaching. But probably won't. Once the debts are dead I might apply for more jobs for a laugh. You have to laugh, really. I cannot take the mess out country is in seriously anymore. I see my main role now as bollsschlit deflector for kids and parents, confidence booster and friendly exam prepper. I also think that a sizeable number of English kids and families have little or no respect for teachers or education, whereas every single Asian family and child I have worked with has been admirably polite, mature and self-motivated. And they're meant to be the weaker ones needing help!

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Mrs Mumbles, you are preaching to the choir. I can wipe the floor with most A-level maths, chemistry and physics teachers. I frequently have to correct stuff they have taught wrong, or fill in gaps they have missed or taught really badly.

But, like you, I will never teach in a school again. The self-serving types that run them not only want someone dirt cheap, but can't stand the fact that someone like me won't be bullied by them, kowtow to them, or tolerate the kind of behaviour that is now accepted as the norm.

And how right you are about English versus Asian (and other nationalities). Very few of my many students are English, and most are indeed Asian. I do believe that the main reason so many English parents are so dead set against the return of Grammars is that they can't bear the thought that most of the places would go to non English students, rather than their unbelievably lazy offspring.

3. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I have to disagree with the generalisations on ethnicities. I have almost 50/50 mix of English (Caucasian) and Asian ethnicity students here in NW London/SE Herts and honestly i don't see the difference in effort applied. For example, I have a lazy Asian boy who will do any homework but the least possible, versus a highly inquisitive Caucasian boy of similar age who i told to read bitesize ks3 electricity at the end of last lesson and who showed me 2 A4 pages of notes he had written when i arrived today. I have 5 girls from the same school, 3 Asian and 2 English, (some are siblings) there is more variation between siblings than between the ethnicities. And they all work much, much harder than i ever did at their age.

I see more English students that start off not liking science but that gets turned around fairly quickly and they all seem eager to do well. Some of the Asian parents might be more focussed on maths and science but that doesn't necessarily translate to the students.