1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching – Alternative job ideas needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by upforoz, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jonathan_white

jonathan_white New commenter

After two years being away from London and the UK, but teaching all this time back in my home country, I'm thinking about coming back. My London story simply can't be over but this time I'd like to try doing something unrelated to education. I'm single with no dependants and I'd like to try again.

I am an EU citizen and I do have the right to work in the UK but what I am not is knowledgeable about the possibilities outside of schools, so could you please point me in the right direction(s)?

I'm a Maths and ICT teacher with almost a decade of teaching experience. I'm fluent in English and French (with certificates to prove it) and my Spanish is quite good. I do have a bit of non-teaching experience working in a hostel and in a restaurant. I'm a responsible person with attention to detail (as Maths teachers usually are) and I'd be happy to get a driving license for a lorry or a bus if there are good jobs to be had with one.

P.S. Working as a programmer is not an option since it's a constant game of catch-up with the latest technology and the latest deadline which I'm most definitely not into.

2. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I saw a Birmingham job which I thought sounded interesting - in a "can't pay we'll take it away" way -

Field Debt Recovery Agent

automotive debt management, repossession, audit and vehicle collection/delivery services on behalf of the leading banks and asset finance companies in the UK.

Company car

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

Worked in secondary from 94 - 2017

Did an MA in Ed which enabled me to apply for uni jobs - currently working 3.5 days for a uni, 1 day for an exam board and also one to one with an additional education provider

This is the first results day for years where I didn't wake up with palpitations...

4. rachel3010

rachel3010 New commenter

Sorry to jump on an old thread, but I'm currently feeling the same burn-out many of you are talking about here and have been googling around looking for ideas, which is how I found this thread...

Splinters, your job sounds really interesting and very creative. Would you mind giving us a few more details about how it came about? What company is it for?

After only ever applying for teaching jobs and looking on council websites, I'm finding a lot of my problem is I don't know where to search or what to search *for* on the bigger job websites. I'm guessing you didn't set out to look for a motor home designer role, so how did you end up coming across something like that?

Xx

BGSG9 and agathamorse like this.
  5. carkeys

carkeys New commenter

I share the same background.. funny to see your other replies too. I'm a DT head with a 3D ceramics degree. I think the current curriculum reform changes in secondary design and technology are so significant that I'm considering a change and starting a design based service having also spent 10 years in the print trade, before teaching . I can see D&T teachers considering business start ups, but I don't have capital. we are creatives and something will come up :) great story!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. unicorn720

unicorn720 New commenter

How's the PO training going. I start in Feb. I can't wait!

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The changes to the curriculum and exam structure for DT were the deciding factor for me retiring. I don't mind change and have adapted to the previous reforms but the latest to DT changes at GCSE level turned what was an engaging, practical subject into a list-learning, content heavy grind through a lot of incredibly boring stuff with greatly reduced opportunities for practical work which the students loved.

The collapse in DT teacher recruitment, down to 25% of target this year is, I feel, largely due to these wretched reforms. When the consultation went out for the reformed GCSE Technology specification I replied stating this was probably a nail in the coffin of DT in schools and I don't think I was far wrong. RIP DT in schools.+

Sinnamon and agathamorse like this.
  8. busta6971

busta6971 New commenter

I qualified as a PE teacher last year, and I have found it increasingly difficult to secure a full time position. I have also had some bad experiences while supply teaching in schools earlier in the year, which has led me to temporarily leave teaching. Can anyone give me any advice on where I go next?

9. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

Hey everyone

Some interesting posts on here.

I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice. I have been in teaching for only 5 years now and want to leave. For financial reasons I can't just go into supply until I find another job. Ideally I need to find another job before I resign. I'm just not sure what is out there that I could do which pays at least the same as teaching. Any suggestions please?

10. misswyer

misswyer New commenter

What do you do?

11. farriarslea

farriarslea New commenter

Hi there, I would like more information about the business. Looking for a way out of teaching too. Thanks

12. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

Is that personal advertising?

13. BGSG9

BGSG9 New commenter

how did you find those posts? i mean, on what website? thanks xx