1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching after three weeks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Malachite19, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

Ive been a teacher for 3 weeks. It’s clearly the biggest mistake of my life. I can’t believe what teachers put up with. The personal abuse, the ridiculous deadlines, the insane workload, the constant pressure, the sheer pointlessness of most of what we are told to do. I think most teachers just don’t realise this doesn’t happen in the real world

2. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

I’m leaving at the first opportunity

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Excellent decision. I don't think you will regret it and well done for making it early on before your life becomes complete ****.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You don't think you are being a little hasty ?

I had two pretty rough YEARS at the start of my teaching career but it's been fine ever since.

Don't do something you might regret later.

What about your PCGE - did you not realize the pitfalls.

Lara mfl 05, knitone and Marshall like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Very strange that the circumstances of working in school has come as a shock to the OP.

6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

People don't do PGCE now. They do that other thing. Can't remember the name. Work in a school and get paid while training. Looked it up. Got confused. Like all things today, tis too complicated for me. Anyway our local primary school has a big banner outside touting for people to become teachers.
    You can train to be a doctor now if you are medically trained eg nurse. Para Professional or something.
    But the way ahead for progress is to become a Consultant. They have Consultancy Companies for everything nowadays. Huddersfield is consulting with Fun Consultants.
    This is what we do now we make nothing. We make complexity.
    Now there is an interesting job.

caress likes this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

From what you've said elsewhere, the school you are in is the problem. It is not a good fit for you (nor most good teachers either). Start looking for a new job. Jump through the hoops until then.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

This. It's just so true.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The first half term at least, is difficult, I think. I remember crying every day when I started. Give it until half term and then you can resign to leave at Christmas if you still can’t stand it.

Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.
  10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I went into teaching in my late 20’s. I had worked in offices doing routine and unchallenging jobs. The last one was so devoid of available work that I was able to do 2 years of an Open University degree, completing some of the work in the office. I was able to apply to university and was granted a year off my degree. So when I entered teaching I was well aware that the alternatives were not great. I did find it really hard but was so pleased to do a job that was worthwhile and never boring. Stick it out and try find achievements to be proud of everyday.