1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving teaching - advice needed

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by trd2018, Nov 19, 2018.

1. trd2018

trd2018 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need of some helpful advice. I know there are 10000's of posts from others in the same position but I just don't know what to do. I am currently teaching in a primary school, this is my third year and I am just not enjoying it. Since I started, I have never completely loved the job but I have gotten by with lovely supportive staff members. This year I do not have that support and I just don't enjoy myself at all now. I come home every day and just want to burst into tears as I feel emotionally drained. I feel that it is starting to cause real problems with my mental health as I suffer from panic attacks. I am not struggling with the actual teaching, my class are making good progress, are generally well behaved and are lovely children but it is just the actual job itself I do not enjoy right now. I know I want to work with children to make their lives better but I do not think this role is the way forward for me. I find my head teacher unapproachable so I'm at a loss as to what to do next really. I would love some help:
    When can I hand my notice in/leave? It is November currently so I don't know where that leaves me job-wise,
    What can I do instead? Are there any ex-teachers who have changed to being HLTA/PPA Cover/TA and enjoy it more?
    Any other notes/guidance/words of wisdom?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sorry you are so miserable. You can ask about leaving early but usually have to give half a term’s notice. It depends on your financial situation as to whether you can cut and run or need to be in a safe post. Work out how much you need a month and then see what you could manage on. The NHS often have training jobs that may suit you or just get any job while you decide. Good luck!

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're on usual teachers' conditions, you need to resign by the end of February to leave at the end of April. You can ask about the possibility of being released from contract earlier, but the school does not have to agree. One way to do it is to make your resignation with effect from 30th April, but add a line to say that you would be interested in discussing earlier release from the contract if they are able to replace you sooner.

Leaving at Easter is a bit odd, because the holidays move. Technically, you can only resign wef 30/4, but if you are taking up a post in another school then you move post for the first day of their new term. If you're not going to another school, your current one can insist you return until the end of April, and you can insist on being paid until the end of April, although if both sides agree, the contract could be ended earlier.
    In practice, if your contract ends at the end of April, most schools will get the new teacher in place for the start of term and either tell you not to bother coming in, or ask you to do something different - perhaps drafting reports (so the new teacher can just update them for the rest of the year) or doing a bit of intervention with year 6.