1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving school and teaching before July

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nath_donn, Mar 20, 2017.

1. nath_donn

nath_donn New commenter

Hi
    Im looking at leaving teaching and my school around June time. If i hand my notice in before the 31st May 2017 can i leave any earlier than end of July? Am i breaking contract?

thanks

2. wanet

wanet Lead commenter

You need to look at your contract, but normally resigation date are only for resignatios at the end of the 3 terms. You may be able to negotiate it, but you would need to ask your head. By doing this you will lose the summer holiday pay.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

As wanet points out your best case scenario means throwing away pay over the summer holidays.

Do you really have to leave in June, just when Yr11s have gone and there's a slight easing of the pressure overall?

wanet likes this.
  4. Freaky_Friday

Freaky_Friday New commenter

The TES informs on the Burgundy Book - you'll need to check what your contract states.

http://www.tesfaq.co.uk/resignation

A couple of points:

It depends how long you have been employed for.

If you are less than one year, then employment law states all you need is a one week notice period. HOWEVER, if you are on a fixed-term contract then it is best to give as much notice as possible, minimum half a term as notice to be fair to the school.

Also depends on what jobs you are changing to.
    For example, if you are leaving the teaching profession then you'll need to be paid holiday pay. This is something you accrue each year. Therefore, Sep to June won't be the 5-6 weeks of summer, but will be quite a decent chunk of it.
    You should be able to include this in your notice period, but I would discuss this with SLT.

Check your contract and gov.uk and chat to your union or citizens advice.

Best wishes

5. nath_donn

nath_donn New commenter

Thanks all basically I have a new job that starts at the beginning of June. I'm not bothered about losing summer pay etc. Ive been teaching 11 yrs don't want to leave them short but I have to start my new job on this date. If I just leave my job and even if my head doesn't agree can I get in trouble??