1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving PGCE early?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by teacherwithdreams, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,

I am beginning a PGCE Primary this week and am very excited. According to my provisional timetable, my course will end the week commencing July 1st. I have been offered an educational job abroad, beginning July 1st.

If I attend all of my placement days, what are the chances of me leaving the course one week early? Is this impossible?

Would appreciate any advice!

Melissa

2. Hellfyre

Hellfyre New commenter

You're best off asking your PGCE tutor. Sorry couldn't be any more help.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You've been offered a job before you've even started the PGCE?! Well sorry but that does not sound like a very good school - you should run for the hills. And if the job is not a teaching job, why bother completing the PGCE in the first place?

As above, ask your PGCE provider. We were doing things even on the very last day of my course, but yours could be different.

4. hlcook89

hlcook89 New commenter

If the job you have been offered relies on QTS, you'd need to check when your course provider is finalising pass/fails and making the recommendations for the awarding of QTS, as it could be after the start date for the job you've been offered.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It might be better to ask the employer whether you can start a week late...

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

There is also a very strict attendance element to the PGCE, around 85%. For example, if you were ill or started a placement late, it would be possible to extend your final teaching practice, but not if you decide to leave the country.

It's a very full-on course. Ideally all goes well and you finish on 1st July but it's not guaranteed. You are likely to be on your knees by the end of it, a lie down for a week might be more in order rather than start a new job a week before the end.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You are not available for employment until your programme finishes. Until then, you are a trainee, and I think (although I'm not entirely sure) that there are regs around being paid a salary whilst in receipt of funding from Student Finance, or a salary if you are School Direct.
    Providers don't award QTS - they recommend to the DfE for the award of QTS and this takes time. If you are not in the country for your final assessment then you'll fail anyway.

agathamorse likes this.