1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving PGCE: does anything I've done this year count moving forward in the job market?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bertra, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Bertra

Bertra New commenter

I started a PGCE in secondary science in September last year. I chose the part time option as I was determined to maintain some balance between family and work life. I'm in my forties, have two young children and as a child experienced what it was to have a parent teaching full time. There have been many positives over the year but it has also been brutal in terms of the hours. It's really not part time and consumes my days off, evenings and weekends. I have completed all the professional studies units and am nearing the end of placement 1. Although I have just about coped mentally, physically it has come at a cost. I've got to another half term, only to be laid up unwell and on antibiotics. This is not for the first time. For a few months I have been questioning if this is what I really want to do as a career. My questions are: has what I have done so far going to give me any advantage in the job market, can I still complete the assignments that will be worth 60 masters level credits so at least I have something solid to show for my hard work so far or am I too late to transfer to a different course? Any advice much appreciated. ( I think I had already decided that secondary school teaching is not for me).

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No. Sorry.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I would consider changing to the level 6 route if you can. Master credits are only valid for a limited time (around 4 years) and then only towards a relevant masters course. If you're not intending to classroom teach is probably not Mitch point. This may give you a release from some of the pressure to complete the course.

You will stop come out with a pgce and Qts. This may give you an advantage in some other jobs.

Marshall likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

You are so nearly there! Consider completing it and then you have more options.