1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving part way through NQT but already have job lined up

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Tirol07, May 21, 2020.

1. Tirol07

Tirol07 New commenter

Hi, just hoping for some advice :)

I am wondering what happens if you have been offered a job during the NQT year but then resign from your current post early - therefore having one term of NQT left to complete in your new role.

Presumably it would be necessary to let your new school know that you still have one term to complete? I'm not sure how well that will go down as they will have assumed you will have completed the NQT year prior to taking up the role with them.

Perhaps a strange situation!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I would be seriously ****** if I appointed someone who I thought had completed their NQT year only to find out they hadn’t. That’s another session to find cover for, paperwork to complete, concern that they might NOT pass. Not good. If you are thinking of doing this, I would speak to the future Head first!

3. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

Why have you resigned? I thought NQT's were going to receive an automatic pass even though they had not had a chance to complete the year.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I'd tend to see that as breaking an implied term of the contract. Unless this is negotiated very carefully......