1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving NQT position

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by SanzyPanzy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Its the first week and yes its all overwhelming and difficult and we're all in the same boat.

However you know when a job/school just isn't for you and I'm finding that. I must sound extremely ungrateful with the current job climate and believe me this has got my head going around in circles.

I took this job with the view to complete my NQT year and move on. There are many issues around the school which I am less than happy about but I thought I could overlook them as it was only a year.

Now that the term has started the school feels like a completely different place. I'm having serious issues and am terrified of making myself ill. I feel my teaching performance is being affected and I feel there is hardly any support for myself as an NQT.

I am pretty sure I want to leave ASAP as I do not want any of my observations to be affected. I understand that I probably cannot leave before 31st Dec but is there anyway I can be asked to be released from my contract? Or can I negotiate with the Head to leave at half term?

I do think I want to pursue teaching at some point in the future but I want to look at my options and see what other jobs there are for me.

Thank you.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Your union are usually the best people to negotiate early release. I know its hard but REALLY think about this, jobs are scare in all industries. You have a while to October half term, try and give it a little more time before you make any life changing decisions. x

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

You really do need to think about this very carefully. Make a list of all the issues you are not happy about. Which ones directly affect you? If could be that there are things that don't fit with your approach to education but it wouldn't kill you to tolerate them for 9 months to get through your first year. Look at what's left on your list. Is there anything there that you could approach the head / your mentor about? I would suggest that there is no way they will let you leave before you at least give them a chance to address your concerns, as this would reflect very badly on the school. The head will have to go to the governors and explain what has gone wrong, as well as explaining to the LA why your NQT programme has failed. You might want to just run away but that is not an option. As a professional, you need to behave appropriately.
    If you still want to stay in teaching, how will you explain leaving your job so soon to prospective new employers? What kind of reference will you get from your existing school? How will the LA view you? Recruiting is time consuming and expensive for schools so I'm guessing your current school won't be pleased, even if they understand it might be for the best in the long term. They have absolutely no obligation to release you from your contract before 31st Dec as you have entered into a contract to work for them until then.
    If you feel that you really can't cope then of course you will need to explore this route, but bear in mind the downside may well be significant damage to your hopes of a teaching career. If nothing else, I think you must give it more of a chance than 4 days.

4. You have a job - be grateful for it. Obviously don';t make yourself ill but is it really as bad as you think? You haven't said what the problem is with the school/job. I'd try and stick it out and get your NQT - it will be difficult finding a job after qutting the last one. 4 days is no measure of it - you need at least a month or more to get into the swing of things!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For any future employer, you leaving a post after just a few weeks is going to be a huge worry and so they will be unlikely to appoint you, teaching or not.

You would be much better to stick it out until Christmas if you possibly can.

6. Can only echo previous statements about the implications of you leaving after such a short time for future employers. Teaching is hard and requires perseverance. With all due respect, have you really given it a proper chance?
    Speak to your NQT mentor, line manager or Head abot your feelings if you are really worried about the position. They may well be offer to ideas and strategies on how to manage the workload/classes so that your happiness improves.
    Good luck.

7. Thank you so much for all your feedback. Its greatly appreciated!

I had a much better day today and had some NQT time to do some prep and I feel like I understand more what to do.

I'm definitely going to take all of your advice and definitely give it more time.

I really hope it works out and I stay here the whole year. I know I love teaching and can't doubt myself this early on!

Thank you all once again.

:)

8. Thank you so much for all your feedback. Its greatly appreciated!

I had a much better day today and had some NQT time to do some prep and I feel like I understand more what to do.

I'm definitely going to take all of your advice and definitely give it more time.

I really hope it works out and I stay here the whole year. I know I love teaching and can't doubt myself this early on!

Thank you all once again.

:)

9. Are you suffering from clinical "stress?" Maybe you should visit the GP and if so they would sign you off of work. It sounds that if you are suffering so will your teaching.

I am an NQT too. I'm in reception class.

What year are you in?

My understanding is that to leave by December you need to hand your notice in by the beginning of Oct half term, but check this out on the TDA website. Maybe you could contact temping agencies and see if they have any long term supply work that will support an NQT? I have thought of doing this myself as I too am not sure of the school and also for other personal reasons would prefer to move.

10. I don't know yet, perhaps if it doesn't improve at all I may visit my GP. I think thats a completely last resort however.

I'm in Yr 1 and its a fairly new way of teaching which I found new and different.

Yes you have to give a terms notice, however I have tried agencies last year and had a whole year of almost no work. I don't think I can depend on that.

I guess its best to give it a few more days. Inbox me your email address and we could talk to each other about this? :)

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If there is very little supply work where you are then you really would be mad to leave. It is much easier to get a new post if you are already in a post. Sounds odd, but it really is.

You already feel a little better today, I imagine that by this time next week you will feel a whole lot better.

I have started in year 2 this week, after 15 years of year 5 and above. I know what you mean about a whole new way of working and I definitely haven't done as good a job as I'd like this week. I'll get my head round it all in a few weeks and so will you. Keep going though...time out of the classroom actually won't help you as you need to be there to learn from experience.

Think about saying to yourself that you will put off making a decision at all until the end of September and that you will give it your all until then. That would be a much better amount of time to decide if the place is or isn't for you.

12. Thanks minnieminx! Yes I had a whole days teaching today and it was much better than the first few days.
    However I am so grateful for my NQT time with PPA time also as I know exactly when I can sit down and do a good chunk of work.
    And definitely agree with you about feeling a lot better by next week, today has been even better than yesterday! :)
    Good luck with Yr 2 ... I loved them whilst training!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is sooo good to actually 'hear' the cheerfulness in your post today. Well done indeed for keeping going.

Next week will be better still...I promise! But do come back and tell us how you go.

14. Haha yes my Mum says my voice is totally different!!

I will indeed, thank you for all your support! Do let me know how Year 2 go for you!

15. Thank you everyone!! And yes the support here is amazing. Love to you all! xx

16. I'm secondary, but you can do this in primary too. Keep a little notebook and record every nice thing that happens ( a funny thing a child says, one of those moments where you feel you've really explained something). It's surprising how quickly they mount up. Then, when you feel down, read through some of the good things that have happened. It sounds silly, but it can really lift your spirits!

17. Hi sanzypanzy,

your original post sounded exaclty like my first school. I left after 2 terms and i still have 1 term to go. I was so traumatised by the experience its taken a good 2 years to consider going back, iv done supply and now feel as though im confident enough to go back.

Please be realisitic, some good advice has been given on here - how much affects you etc? My school went through ALOT of changes and ofsted gave notice to improve. that made everything 100 times worse especially as the school couldnt support 2 nqts.

Get your head down, do what you trained to do and keep things in perspective. your a teacher not a machine. Set yourself targets - half term, xmas etc.

With regards to health - look after yourself - have proper meals, if you need a day off for colds etc - take it, because you'll only have the 1 -2 days to catch up on rather than a week when you've forced yourself through a week and been dead to the world over the weekend!!!!

PERSPECTIVE!!!

18. BlondeBimbo29

BlondeBimbo29 New commenter

I think it's really important to wait at least a few weeks before making any huge decisions like this for all the reasons pp have said but also because it is too early to tell what sort of support you will get. I've mentored several NQTs and I always found this time of year the hardest because as much as I wanted to support the NQT right at the beginning of the year when I know they're prob feeling a bit lost etc, I also have my own class to set up and sort out. I have however, always made sure I met with the NQTs in the summer hols because that first week is often so busy. A couple of weeks in and you'll probably find your mentor has much more time to spend with you and support you. Anyway, glad things are improving already.

19. I had some truly awful times during my NQT year last year - and thought I'd ended up in a school which went against everything I believed in. I thought that the head teacher hated me and was setting me up to fail, and I felt like I had virtually no support: from school or the LEA.
    BUT, I hung in there, and swallowed a couple of my principles, and proved that I am a good teacher who can get good results.
    I'm so glad I didn't walk out. I was very close to just walking out the door and not coming back a couple of times, but something stopped me and I'm very glad it did. I wasn't planning to negotiate an early release, I just wanted to escape, there and then.
    It was slow, but things did get better. I got to know the staff, the kids and the systems (like them or not!). It wasn't a gradual uphill climb - there were ups and downs through the whole year, but as the year progressed, there were definitely more ups.
    I finished my NQT year in the school, and by the end of the summer holidays, I was actually looking forward to going back. There are lots of reasons why my school is not my ideal school, but its a job, I'm settled there now, I have a "track record" with them, and I worked out lots of ways to keep other people happy while still being true to my own principles.
    Yes, it's tough but, believe me, it does get better!
    Best of luck for the next few months. You'll soon wonder what you were panicking and so unhappy about: honestly! x

20. All I will add is that things can be so overwhelming that it is difficult to see the wood for the trees. I would give more time and seriously think carefully about your options. What you are feeling is really what everyone feels as you move from one phase of life to another. Not dissimilar to the regression that primary pupils feel when they move to secondary.
    James