1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Neverland...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nanook_rubs_it, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Michael Jackson doc Leaving Neverland is 'disturbing and devastating'

Michael Jackson gave a young boy jewellery in exchange for sexual acts, according to new documentary Leaving Neverland.
    The "devasting and disturbing" film has been shown at The Sundance Film festival in Utah, America.
    It focuses on two men who claim Michael Jackson had abused them as children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47013732

Is it now time to think of Michael Jackson as we do Saville? Should his music not be played on the radio?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No

artboyusa likes this.
  3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

They mentioned this on R5Live this morning - in their words should MJ be given a 'free pass' when other artists do not have their music played on radio/TV any more? (No names were mentioned, but I guess Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris etc)

The thing is, like Saville, MJ hid 'in plain sight' - we all knew he was weird. But we all turned a blind eye. Perhaps now we shouldn't carry on doing so?

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Reading the twitter feed from the first tweet the BBC link to:

https://twitter.com/PatRyanWrites/s...=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47013732

There are some tweets from a poster called Amalie which seem to have some evidence that at least Safechuck might have fabricated their stories... hard to say when trying to judge through social media [and we all know how that can backfire].

I need more evidence to go on. But thanks for the heads up Nanook... I'm very conflicted on MJ.

Laphroig and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Basing a film on allegations that were dismissed in court is a bit below the belt imo. He's not here to answer.

6. Weald56

Neither was Saville when the TV programme exposing him was broadcast.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Jackson wasn't Saville

Any such comparisons are not valid.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm inclined to agree. He was an odd man [or comes across that way] with a lot of money who liked his privacy.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

His Dad messed him up.

But I will always play his music.

towncryer likes this.
  11. Nanook_rubs_it

I have to say I found it easy to give MJ a 'pass' as his public demeaner seemed to be of someone who was exploited rather being exploitive, and, I'm not proud admitting, that exploitation appeared (to me) to extend to the boys and their families who accused him of abuse while apparently enabling his access to them.

However, these weren't the only incidents to be reported; there was a big pay-off to one alledge 'victim', and even his sister, Latoya, stating she thought he was a paedophile.

Even if it were all true, I'm not sure we should 'ban' the work of those who have done 'suspect' things. I am conflicted about Pete Townsend, as 'The Who' played a significant part of my adolescent sound track, but he was certainly given the 'benefit of the doubt', as I doubt he would have got away with a caution and 5 years on the sex offenders register these days.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And how far do we go with such a 'ban'?... I don't remember the track but there is an Oasis song that samples Gary Glitter. Great song... but... Glitter?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm just going to put these here... I've watched both of them and find him persuasive. I'm not saying anyone else has to watch them. And yes the guy speaking is very keen on Trump but the guy knows his music and I have time for him on that [he has some great stuff on metal and rock bands too]

Obviously there is always the ''no smoke without fire'' response... but there is also the moneysharks... people attracted by vast quantities of wealth. As I say.. I'm conflict... but I don't yet see a reason to not have Thriller or Bad on in the car when I need pepping up on the drive home.

14. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I thought the reason we don't hear Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter on the radio was because their music was carp.

15. Nanook_rubs_it

Or watch a Roland Polanski or Charlie Chaplin film; both known to have had sex with underage girls? Even Elvis wasn't without 'sin' in that.

Even though I don't like Glitter's music, if we were to impose a voluntary ban on anything that was connected to someone who did bad things, there wouldn't be much left in either art orr science.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And who can forget that Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin (perfectly legally, of course) ...

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I knew about Polanski [and have still enjoyed his films :oops:]

I didn't know about Chaplin. :confused:

18. Weald56

It was. But not everyone likes MJ's music either!

19. Nanook_rubs_it

I've always attributed MJ's best work to Quincy Jones, with MJ just being another of his musicians.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

(What's the Story) Morning Glory?