1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving my friends

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by leadlearner, Apr 28, 2012.

1. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

I have worked in several schools still keep up with the good friends made there. People will leave and move on. The question should be is the other job right for you. All best:)

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why would you lose touch with the friends in your current school? You'll have contact numbers etc for them and make the effort to keep in touch. The issue is that, at various stages of life, we count as friends, those with whom we have things in common. When you have small children, you tend to be with people at the same life stage. Your relationship in school was initially based on your shared experience in the school and as a teacher. If you move to a new school, you'll form relationships based on your experiences there. That doesn't mean you'll lose your existing friendships because, as you get to know people better, your friendships encompass other interests rather than just school.
    If it is the job for you, go for it and look forward to the new friends you haven't yet met.
    It's nearly two years since I left my wonderful friends at my last school and I make efforts to see them and to stay in touch. Sometimes, the sharing of the 'rubbish from above' is what cements the relationship. Do what's right for you.