1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving mid

Discussion in 'Primary' started by langywangy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

I have just started a job after Christmas in a lovely little school. However, completely out of the blue another school has offered me a permanent post after easter. I did supply in this school before the Christmas holidays and really liked it and there would also be a lot more opportunities for progression. The school I'm at, at the moment is a temporary contract but I don't know if they expected me to stay after the summer. This class would have therefore had 3 teachers in one year and I can't help but feel really really guilty for leaving at Easter when I agreed to stay until at least the summer. Is it bad that I may be leaving under these circumstances??? Thanks!

2. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

I have just started a job after Christmas in a lovely little school. However, completely out of the blue another school has offered me a permanent post after easter. I did supply in this school before the Christmas holidays and really liked it and there would also be a lot more opportunities for progression. The school I'm at, at the moment is a temporary contract but I don't know if they expected me to stay after the summer. This class would have therefore had 3 teachers in one year and I can't help but feel really really guilty for leaving at Easter when I agreed to stay until at least the summer. Is it bad that I may be leaving under these circumstances??? Thanks!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It's unfortunate, but you have to put your own life first. The school will manage somehow - perhaps by appointing someone who can see that class through the next 4 terms. You can't turn down such an opportunity rashly.

4. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

Thanks for that! It's extra hard in teaching when you feel responsible for the children! But I think you're right. It's just going to be hard having to tell them!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it's a genuine offer and permanent and you take it, then of course the children will cope.
    However I recommend you go straight to your Head and discuss your terms of notice. Have you signed a contract? You haven't been for an interview without telling them have you? The school need to be notified as soon as possible so they can find a replacement.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if they were tight enough to give a temp contract then they are getting their due reward.
    sad for the children, but a permanent contratct in a good school rather than a temp contract, on your bike, but be nice about it!

7. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

Thanks all, I have made the decision to move to the new school as I feel as a young teacher there are more opportunities for me there.

Thanks for your advice!