1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving mid year

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lizdot, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Hi
    Due to threat of capability and subsequent depression/ not being able to face the thought of extra observations, I am leaving my school at Easter. I have taught there for many many many years and I realise that parents will feel let down. Obviously I cannot explain why I have to go, but I don't know what to say if asked. It really upsets me to leave my class of 5 year olds mid year.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  2. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I'm feeling the same..... I teach SEN and am hoping to go at easter too (on a CA) I'm going to tell my kids and parents that there are other children who need me. Tell fibs and say you have a job elsewhere they won't know xxx

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't feel bad about it. A happy (not yet realising how terrible the place is) teacher will be much better for the class than an anxious and worried teacher.

You need to put your own well being first. People leave mid year all the time. Just let it slip to the gossipy parents and leave them to sort out the upset or not.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm not in favour of telling lies, too easy for someone to catch you out at a later date and then trust is compromised.
    No-one has a right to be told anything about your personal life, so I'd keep it professional.
    Say you're sorry to be leaving mid-year and you understand that's not ideal, but sometimes life doesn't work out that way. Say how adaptable children are and how you're sure your replacement will be a good teacher to your 'special class'. who you're sad to be leaving. You don't have to 'explain yourself' to anyone.

Edit Seen ctob's post and don't worry children really are so much more adaptable than we think. Within a fortnight of the new teacher's arrival they'll be settled and fine. Your well-being is your main concern now.

5. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Thanks for your supportive replies.
    I agree it's best not to lie.
    Not sure what you mean by Edit Seen ctob's post Lara.
    I'm worried that I will cry if the parents question me. I would never be leaving mid year by choice!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Edit- means I saw that caterpillartobutterfly (ctob for short;)) had posted since I'd replied added an extra bit- the Edit.
    Just stay professional as I've said and try to avoid any questions about you by steering the conversation on to the children.

7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I would be tempted to say that I am moving onwards and upwards with a little secretive smile.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Feel let down? They don't own you! There are other teachers out there.

Say you were getting stale. Say it's time for a change (that's definitely true!). Say it's complicated. Say it's personal.

These kids are 5. They are as resilient as you can get. Good thing too! Change happens. They'll get a new teacher with lots of enthusiasm and oomph and they'll be happy as Larry. We hope for that, don't we? That would be a good outcome for the kids.

If you cry? That's embarrassing but OK. People do that. If you've been there for a long time it's almost expected! Let it out. Let it go.

And best wishes for the next step!