1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving mid year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by langywangy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

I have just started a job after Christmas in a lovely little school. However, completely out of the blue another school has offered me a permanent post after easter. I did supply in this school before the Christmas holidays and really liked it and there would also be a lot more opportunities for progression.

The school I'm at, at the moment is a temporary contract but I don't know if they expected me to stay after the summer. This class would have therefore had 3 teachers in one year and I can't help but feel really really guilty for leaving at Easter when I agreed to stay until at least the summer. Is it bad that I may be leaving under these circumstances???

Thanks!

2. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

Just realised I've posted in forum! I'm not an NQT!

3. You are clearly a dedicated teacher - but you have to think of the long game as well as the short term effects on pupils. Yes there teachers in a year is not ideal - but what about the kids who will have you as their permanent teacher after easter? They deserve stability as well. You also have to think about your own situation and a teacher who is stable, employed and permanent is more likely to deliver high quality lesasons than a teacher who is always seeking other posts and off on interviews and ready to leave or not knowing if they still have a job.
    James