I have been 'failed' in my first term at a London school, the stress of working in a long distance place (a london school as well) and the behaviour management being the focus has frustrated me as an MFL teacher. My job description is to teach french not to be a social worker! I have been signed off until Christmas with depression that will require medication and therapy. I resorted to going to the doctors after I nearly snapped with a student. That day I had witnessed two boys suddenly try to strangle each other in a class that I had taken special measures with to behave that day. (I had distributed a conditional detention letter to children in the class two days in advance - if your son/daughter does not met expectations etc he/she will be in detention) A boy had also escaped his lesson that day to come to my class to taunt me with verbal abuse. At the end of the day I had collected the pupils who had not met the expectations in my lesson for an after school detention. While I was outside phoning parents to confirm that their children were in detention, I heard the children making allegations to another teacher that I was abusing them, that I punished all the class unfairly, and that I was a racist. Interestingly enough, the boy who I caught with suspected drugs the other day was voicing these allegations. At that point, I was working sixteen hours a day and my lessons were still being classed as unsatisfactory. My line manager has requested to see me this Monday (although I am off sick). I have thought through my options, and have come to conclusion to give in my notice. Preserving my mental health is more of a priority than completing my induction year. If I really want to go back into teaching, I can always pick it up at a later point (from scratch prefferably as I dont want to refer on a first term with unsatisfactory progress). If I don't manage to contact the union in time, can anyone advise me to go about negotiating a release in terms of what to say? In this place it is only six weeks notice (due to the fact that this place has high staff rotation, how interesting) but my doctor has not deemed it suitable for me to return. I have pretty made up my mind to give my letter of resignation on Monday. Release will depend on their decision. If I am released, do I have to continue for six weeks tho? I am considering any possible negative impacts on a reference.