1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving in NQT year - negotiating release on medical grounds

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon750, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I have been 'failed' in my first term at a London school, the stress of working in a long distance place (a london school as well) and the behaviour management being the focus has frustrated me as an MFL teacher. My job description is to teach french not to be a social worker!

I have been signed off until Christmas with depression that will require medication and therapy. I resorted to going to the doctors after I nearly snapped with a student. That day I had witnessed two boys suddenly try to strangle each other in a class that I had taken special measures with to behave that day. (I had distributed a conditional detention letter to children in the class two days in advance - if your son/daughter does not met expectations etc he/she will be in detention)
    A boy had also escaped his lesson that day to come to my class to taunt me with verbal abuse. At the end of the day I had collected the pupils who had not met the expectations in my lesson for an after school detention. While I was outside phoning parents to confirm that their children were in detention, I heard the children making allegations to another teacher that I was abusing them, that I punished all the class unfairly, and that I was a racist.
    Interestingly enough, the boy who I caught with suspected drugs the other day was voicing these allegations.
    At that point, I was working sixteen hours a day and my lessons were still being classed as unsatisfactory.

My line manager has requested to see me this Monday (although I am off sick).
    I have thought through my options, and have come to conclusion to give in my notice. Preserving my mental health is more of a priority than completing my induction year. If I really want to go back into teaching, I can always pick it up at a later point (from scratch prefferably as I dont want to refer on a first term with unsatisfactory progress).
    If I don't manage to contact the union in time, can anyone advise me to go about negotiating a release in terms of what to say?
    In this place it is only six weeks notice (due to the fact that this place has high staff rotation, how interesting) but my doctor has not deemed it suitable for me to return.
    I have pretty made up my mind to give my letter of resignation on Monday. Release will depend on their decision.
    If I am released, do I have to continue for six weeks tho? I am considering any possible negative impacts on a reference.

2. I have been 'failed' in my first term at a London school, the stress of working in a long distance place (a london school as well) and the behaviour management being the focus has frustrated me as an MFL teacher. My job description is to teach french not to be a social worker!

I have been signed off until Christmas with depression that will require medication and therapy. I resorted to going to the doctors after I nearly snapped with a student. That day I had witnessed two boys suddenly try to strangle each other in a class that I had taken special measures with to behave that day. (I had distributed a conditional detention letter to children in the class two days in advance - if your son/daughter does not met expectations etc he/she will be in detention)
    A boy had also escaped his lesson that day to come to my class to taunt me with verbal abuse. At the end of the day I had collected the pupils who had not met the expectations in my lesson for an after school detention. While I was outside phoning parents to confirm that their children were in detention, I heard the children making allegations to another teacher that I was abusing them, that I punished all the class unfairly, and that I was a racist.
    Interestingly enough, the boy who I caught with suspected drugs the other day was voicing these allegations.
    At that point, I was working sixteen hours a day and my lessons were still being classed as unsatisfactory.

My line manager has requested to see me this Monday (although I am off sick).
    I have thought through my options, and have come to conclusion to give in my notice. Preserving my mental health is more of a priority than completing my induction year. If I really want to go back into teaching, I can always pick it up at a later point (from scratch prefferably as I dont want to refer on a first term with unsatisfactory progress).
    If I don't manage to contact the union in time, can anyone advise me to go about negotiating a release in terms of what to say?
    In this place it is only six weeks notice (due to the fact that this place has high staff rotation, how interesting) but my doctor has not deemed it suitable for me to return.
    I have pretty made up my mind to give my letter of resignation on Monday. Release will depend on their decision.
    If I am released, do I have to continue for six weeks tho? I am considering any possible negative impacts on a reference.

3. oh my goodnes u poor thing- get out whilst u can - there is hope out there - im a muslim and i just prayed -even if youre not relgious just get out better things will come up
    if she fails u the head - there is no going back thats ure carreer down the drain- what u need to do is quit altogether
    get in touch with ure union asap
    and tell ure head she cant fail u - u shall just leave without being assessed does that make sense
    my first 2 terms as NQT WERE horrendous i had verbal abuse -kids swearing- throwing chairs at me -working 60-70 hours a week
    parents treating me like ****- head and deputy on my case 24-7 - they only just passed me cos i was all nice nicey and did evrything they said baiscally licked thier ****- and just agreed with wtever **** they made me do and i took al the **** they gave me- then term 3 i showed the slightest bit of me sticking up 4 myself. and thats it she was ready to fail me
    however thanking my union and the fact that she didnt really have a leg to stand on cos she passed me on the 1st 2 terms and it cld have got messy as in -why did she pass me then
    am i making sense
    hope so anyway 3rd term i spoke to union and she agrred she wouldnt count it and i would do it somewhere else
    so i applied evywhere - and ppl -other schools didnt seem to mind- when i thought they would- and now
    in the most amazing upper school -yes upper school -PRIMARY TEaCHER JOINS UPPER SCHOOL. as the year 7 nurture teacher
    its just amazing i have a lovely head and deputy and over 90 members of staff who r just so helpful and make coming to school and work wonderful- i havent had one day of sick, in my last schhool i was depressed and mental torture
    my kids r doing well -slight behavior problemm and thier out =supported by head of departent
    pray i get permanenet job here - i love it
    i cried evy other day in my other school
    i work normal school hours here - plus 1 hour a nyt extra and that is it.

theres hope 4 u yet -stick in there

good luk - let m knw wht happens
    ps - ure pic and smile is lovely - ssory i sound lik a lesbian im nt - keep going be strong
    pps - u dnt have to go in 2 see ure line manager as u r of sick - dnt do it - she will be horrible to u and make u feel bad like mine did - my old head and deputy called me into the office and just bullied me, i never felt so small in my life - only go in with a member of ure union with u,
    references r nt allowed to be negative- by local authority standards
    and u have the right to ask for a copy of ure reference from the school that it gets sent to - and fr ure head

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are in a union do involve them in the negotiation and release arrangements including the reference. If you have been signed off do not make a hasty decision and wait until you are sufficiently recovered before doing anything.
    If you are sick you are not able to work and should not see the manager-they have no right to require you to meet.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

First of all, don't worry about what happens about the first term of your induction.
    It's very difficult to fail the first term (it requires the school to decide that you continuing in teaching will damage the education of children and requires them to take emergency action which they just can't do at this stage.)
    What's more common is that they'll tick the box on the form that says "may not meet the standards by completion".
    Having that box ticked isn't that unusual. Lots of NQTs have tough first terms.
    And, before the form goes to the LA, you get a chance to add you comments to it.
    Be as professional as your state of mind allows there and highlight specific problems and find ways to indicate you have not been well supported by the school (but don't be too blatant about that).
    When you go to your next school, you'll then have 2 terms to do with them where you can show them you can teach and will meet the standards.
    And if you run into problems there, then the LA can get involved (ideally quickly) and can extend your Induction if necessary.
    If you want to continue to teach, all is not lost by having a poor first term (nor even a poor third term in many cases)

6. See my reply to your message, but also do contact your union for help and advice on a negotiated exit strategy, do not make hasty decisions, especially if you are unwell and signed off work. Seek help and advice.
    James