1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving in May but asked to write end of year reports

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Monika001, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

As the title says, I am leaving my current primary school at the end of this half term to take up a new post for the final half term this year. We just wrote mid year reports and they were handed out in the final week of spring term.
    I have been told that I will need to write the end of year reports for my class before I leave, which means they will be written mid May, to be handed out 9-10 weeks later. I actually don't mind doing it as my school will give me a day in return but a colleague of mine said she thought I shouldn't have to do it.
    Just wondered what other people thought about it?

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

How many days would it take you to write them? Ask for that amount of non-contact time off, to write them.
    Or, take a few days off - with your bad back/leg/headache etc.
    Or, just do them.
    Or, have a good moan, but still do them.
    Or, refuse to do them.
    Keep us posted.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Who else could do it?
    Many schools write the actual reports around May half term and you are being given a whole day to do them.
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

If the reports are written in May they'll be out of date before they're sent out. However your knowledge of the children will be better than your successor's.
    I'd suggest you offer to draft them so that your successor can finalise them nearer to the deadline - this would be best for the children.

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

Just copy the mid term report and add a sentence if anything has changed since then. Ridiculous.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Agree that you know the children and should make a contribution but I think that most end of year summative reports are a nonsense in that any advice / formative assessment / strategies/ areas for development may be written and recorded but not acted upon as they ( the reports ) end up being read and filed away !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Pomz

Pomz Senior commenter

Seems like a reasonable request to me.

It's better the reports are written by a teacher who has good knowledge of the children, than by a new person who has only just picked-them-up for a few weeks and doesn't yet possess the depth of understanding you have.

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Seems reasonable to me. It shouldn't take more than a day to do so the school is trying hard to find the right path for everyone by giving you a day off to do them.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree that any knowledge you have to give an accurate picture will be better for the children. Your replacement could always add some personal observations of further progress, so I see no problem. Especially as your School is offering to give you the time to do it.

10. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

I think your colleague is wrong :) Advice above is sound: a quick draft, not much different from the mid-year, for the next teacher to bring up to date before sending out.

phlogiston likes this.
  11. install

install Lead commenter

I think it is a reasonable request - you know the students afterall. The timing of writing the reports has been moved and you are the best position to give an accurate account.

12. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

Thanks for all your replies so early on a Friday morning. I'm in agreement with most of you, I know the children better than the new teacher will (although it will be their teacher from last year taking them), and I'm happy enough to do what I can with the time given. Interesting to hear what your thoughts were!

13. install

install Lead commenter

And thanks for getting back - its nice to hear how things are resolved..

14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is a reasonable request. I hate reports.

I would make it fit into the day they have given you. If there is any comeback, you won't be there.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A very sensible compromise.

Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Of course if you don't write your reports and start your new job then they can't make you do them!

Aren't we supposed to only report once a year?

17. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Assuming that your school was flexible in allowing you to leave on a non-standard date, perhaps it is reasonable for you to do them, at least in a draft form as has been suggested.

I would always advise against doing something that will annoy the employer you are leaving. If, for some reason, things don't work out well at a new job, you might need to rely on a reference from your current employer.

That is the norm, but is it in STPCD?

wanet likes this.
  18. Pomz

Pomz Senior commenter

Many schools report more frequently than once a year - Some seem to do it every term! Often these are interim reports and just involve a few tick boxes and one short paragraph though.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do it but here is the chance to actually tell the truth without any come back!

Piranha likes this.
  20. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Light the blue touch paper and run!

Tinycat1234 likes this.