1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving in 4 weeks but still observed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd New commenter

Hi all

I am starting at a new school in January. Our department is down to get observed as part of the appraisal cycle this coming week - I am just wondering as to the purpose of it for me? I have already been observed by SLT three times this academic year and had a few book samples so not like they haven't seen that I'm doing my job. Should I be worried about it? Just seems fairly fruitless seeing as even if they gave me lots of things they wanted to see after it I wouldn't be able to apply them for long as I'm leaving. Has anyone been in this position before?

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The person doing the appraising has to be seen to be doing their job, and you're still teaching, so you're still part of the overall picture of the department. It's a bit like marking year 9 books in June when they're not continuing with the subject.

Flanks, nomad, Pomza and 10 others like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done with getting the new job. I hope you're happier there and can make progress with your career.
    SLT probably feel obliged to complete all possible paperwork - it will make extra work for them too!.
    I would be trying not to worry - they can't do much nasty. (I know it's easy to say "don't worry" even if you think thye're going to be constructive).
    They may say nice things to you, they may make some helpful suggestions. Focus on clearing up as many losse ends as possible before you go. Make sure all your personal stuff is back home before the last week of term (because you won't have much clearing the decks time.) Do thank the people who have been nice to you.
    Good luck

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

None at all, other than you are a member of the department until 31st December and so need to play a full part in said department.

jarndyce, nomad, Pomza and 2 others like this.
  5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd New commenter

I sort of get that but does this happen in other professions? Someone hands their notice in then the boss comes and appraises them doing their job?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

There's never any point in observations. Do the bare minimum or have a debilitating illness on the day of observation that requires the day off.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Be there, try to make it look like you care.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would expect that it happens in a lot of places. I have heard of workplaces (can't give you examples) that show you the door pretty much as soon as you hand in notice for fear of either taking contacts with you, failing to work up to the resignation date or workplace theft.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Totally pointless and is being done so boxes can be ticked. Some SLT are Jobsworths. Just have a sicky the day it’s due and get some Christmas shopping done. And on the rescheduled day. They’ll get the message.

10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Three observations already in this academic year? Once every three weeks?

Has everyone had this many observations?

(I wouldn't worry about the upcoming one, what can they do? Have fun for once do something daring or silly or both.)

bevdex and agathamorse like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It has to happen if it's part of the cycle.

It wouldn't be fair to your colleagues.

"Just because Nerd's leaving? S/he gets out of observations? Why? What if you missed some important safeguarding issue? Not fair to the rest of us."

That's how they'd spin it. Some of them. Just do the job and go. It's nothing personal.

12. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

Congratulations on getting a new job!

I’m in an identical position to you, leaving in January to start a new job. Our departmental review process - the central feature of which is a round of observations - was held in the middle of this month. Ultimately, I wasn’t observed however I fully expected to be.

At the end of the day (until the expiry of your contract, presumably on the 31st of December) you are employed as a full time member of staff. To this end, you are supposed to discharge your duties as per usual. I fully sympathise with you. Attending departmental meetings in which arrangements for GCSE intervention in January is discussed can be tedious; there’s little to nothing you can contribute. Likewise, twilight sessions and observations can seem futile.

I feel, however, that at the end of the day full and enthusiastic participation is extremely important. In my case, I’ve experienced hostility from my head of department and SLT for leaving. To this end, I’ve ensured that my behaviour is completely above rebuke - I wish to leave with my head held high!

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Your name appears on the observation rota so observed you will be. Look on this as an opportunity to show what you can do. Any positive evidence of your teaching ability can be used to support an application for another job or help you climb the greasy pole. You've got absolutely nothing to lose so loosen up and go for it.

From the SLT point of view I can understand that as a regular teacher you should go through the 'quality control' measures. After all, if you were a mechanic or a surgeon you still expect your work to be scrutinised even though you only had a month to go. The SLT have a responsibility to ensure the students are getting a good deal even though staff are leaving.

I was observed a couple of weeks before I retired. I just went over the top and basically showed off for the lesson. One of the best observation reports I ever had.

14. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

Just go with it and let them observe. You're still being paid until the end of December.

What's the worst that can happen? They don't like the lesson. Big deal.

15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You could look at it another way: get a really good observation this time just in case, in January, someone tries to say otherwise. Take your evidence with you.

17. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

It is ridiculous.

What really gets me is the number of people who seem to think these constant observations in any way improve schools.

They didn't happen in my day, and standards were way higher and teachers tended to remain in the same school for up to the length of a whole career. (yes, it did sometimes happen).

And what do we have now? - a perpetual sword of damocles situation that is driving out staff by the shedload, and even more outrageously, is being used as a tool to manage out expensive and experienced teachers.

It is the almost casual accceptance of this madness (displayed by some posters above), that has allowed teaching to hit rock bottom in recent years.

tenpast7, d_fahey, sbkrobson and 5 others like this.
  18. whatsabunny

whatsabunny New commenter

You've had 3, observations so far this year? That is completely against union guidance which states a maximum of 4 unless on a support plan.
    You do need to go along with it while you work there, and likely your appraisal and documents will go with you, however I am concerned about the number of observations!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You’re not in another profession...

And yes, in my prior profession, compliance supervision extended to my very last day in employment (and technically for an indefInite period of time beyond that too).

20. MissMultitask

MissMultitask New commenter

Think about this in a 10 year plan. So.... in 10 years will anyone remember who/what/ why/ how you did what you do right now????
    Really!! Does it MATTER!! You have checked out clearly, already ticked lots of many SLT boxes which is probably why you are getting the hell outta there..
    I would either do the most fandabisdosa lesson (if u have the energy/ passion etc) or the polar opposite. WILL IT MATTER? Not a jot- u r GOING. WHY??
    Nothing to do with micro management book scrutiny ( How I hate that word- sounds like a form of torture)
    constant looking over your shoulder. Suggestion check out in your head and smile sweetly, look like u really r interested and move on as you are doing.
    Life is far too short to be hassled with this mindless carp. Tick the days off in your planner and u will be outta there soon.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.