1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving headship

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by deputyjot, Apr 5, 2019.

1. deputyjot

deputyjot New commenter

Just wondering, lots of talk on here about leaving teaching and embarking on new careers. Anyone got a story about leaving a headship and finding happiness? Been a head 7.5 years, just thinking it’s all getting too hard.

2. install

install Star commenter

Imho just become an Ofsted Inspector or CEO or Exec Head or a Consultant or a combination of all four if money is your route to being happy. And easier than being just a head.

Or get your own business ticking along if you feel picked on ;)

Bentley89 likes this.
  3. fairport

fairport New commenter

I did it. 8 years of headship and I'd had enough. Am now a DHT with a lot less stress and a lot more job satisfaction. I now enjoy going to work!

Bentley89 likes this.
  4. deputyjot

deputyjot New commenter

I’m not sure I would want to go back to teaching full time. Think I’m just a bit fed up with parents believing/backing their children above all else, questioning our professional judgement and fighting their corner. What kind of society are we allowing to be created if children can do no wrong in their parent’s eyes? Every issue is exacerbated by parental involvement. There appears to be little personal responsibility any more.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m still here for now. Became a HT in 1997 and plan to retire next year when I’ll be 60. I’ve been looking at becoming a Property Developer although I would like to travel.