1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

leaving feedback for the class teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by susiec08, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I am trying to be optimistic in thinking that I will get some supply work so I was hoping you more experienced guys could tell me what I should include on a feedback form that I leave after a booking. This is information for the teacher.
    Or maybe someone had one that wouldn't mind sharing with me (not too cheeky I hope)
    susie

2. You can be dishonest and say they have been a delight to teach with no problems at all and the work that was set was wonderful, detailed and very appropriate for the class, and completed to the best of the pupils ability. Or you can be honest and say your TA left the moment she saw a supply teacher enter the room with the class refusing to follow the most simple of instructions without you getting aggressive and threatening the use of sanctions. Guess which version is more likely to get you asked back. Sorry to sound so cynical but that's what 11 years of supply does to you!

3. I generally try in secondary to write nice group.
    I avoid leaving names of sinners, If they have sinned I try to deal with it myself. If I ain't got the time I may re-visit the subject area in lunch break and have a chat.
    I always get the correct name.
    The work left. If I have exhausted all normal places I will leave a note saying I could not find any, and say what I did instead.
    On sinners be careful, Very occassionally I will enforce a detention, Which is a lot of work, If I am going to go down this route well I set the show up and find out what I can and cannot do. Some schools bus the children away and I have no right to keep them back unless I go through the procedure. Other schools are OK with a 5 to 10 minute hold back after school.
    Any hold back has to be cleared by HOD or a member of staff. Do not as a supply do a hold back without another member of staff present and a clear statement by yourself how long you have kept them and released them.
    They may go home and say you have given them an half hour detention when in fact it was only a 5 minute chat about behaviour at the end of a lesson!
    We have to be squeaky clean!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If the lesson was unworkable I will say so, often in fairly blunt terms, but I rarely if ever list student sinners' names unless I've been specifically asked to do so, as nothing usually follows and it makes you look less effective.

5. darkness

darkness New commenter

And I found the complete opposite worked. I always left very honest feedback and was recalled to several schools where the teachers I covered commented how at least i recognised the issues. By lying , and the class teacher knows who will play up, you only set yourself up as someone who is happy to bluff their way through. It doesn't look good.

Feedback, I used to write about behaviour in general and any individual cases, and then each subject in turn, what was covered. mark all work, and comment I had marked all the work. Then a brief sentence to say how the day was in general.

6. les25paul

les25paul Lead commenter

I tend to agree with the honest approach. Certainly mention any good effort/behaviour from the class and give out credits to those who deserve them if you know that school's system. It helps if you have that class again and for any future supply teachers.
    Likewise report the names of the "sinners". They will be well known to regular staff and you will get recognised as someone taking an active teaching role and knowing what is going on in the lesson. Well having some idea of what is going on !!. Might be best to avoid detentions for the reasons already mentioned.
    It is most important that you get the right names and if there is any doubt I regard as best to "let that one go" rather then accuse an innocent party.
    Its also a good idea to mention roughly how far the class got with the work set, if you went through some answers with them as a class and if any class discussions on related topics developed (as they do in some of the better schools).

7. Leaving some sort of feedback is important, and making sure that any work done is collected and returned to the whoever. As I know to my cost, I did not collect in some work for one class, which resulted in the agency calling me up to ask about it. When I explained that i had not collected it in, as asked, the school refused to pay for the day

8. I would claim through the small claims court. I expect that their own teachers occasionally forget to collect homework or such, but don't lose a day's pay. A day that you could have worked elsewhere, don't forget.

9. I'm honest - if someone's been a noteable pain in the rear I'll say - or I'll make sure I leave the happy/sad side of the board up (I'm primary) for their class teacher the following morning - and I tell the kids I'm doing this (but with the age group I teach making itonto the sad side is like a really big thing). I'll always end with something like "apart from X and Y pushing their luck a bit they've been lovely" though.
    When I was ill working full-time, the supply who had my class left me the "oh they've been delightfu, nicest class I've ever taught stuff - considering the colleague in the next room had let me know they'd been (their usual) nightmare selves, that the main miscreant had had to spend the fortnight I was off in another class because his usual simmering level of tantrum and violence had erupted into full-blown classroom smashathon on an hourly basis levels, that she'd spent the fortnight screeching at the kids and I'd returned to more of a bomb site than a classroom - the "oh they've been lovely note" just made me laugh cos I would quite freely admit that they were the class from hell (hence why they'd driven me to going off sick with stress at that point lol).
    Other schools seem to lap it up but that school refused to have that particular supply back (I'd actually got the contract I was doing there because I WAS honest with feedback). Basically I ain't going to sugar coat things and add to any impression the kids get that they can do what they like with no repercussions for supply teachers so I do feedback the goods and bads and at least try to get the idea that the way they behave for that day DOES count.

10. I agree with all of the above re: honest feedback. My only problem is that with the amount of classes over the years who have been pains in the bum there's a lot of classes now who I think have been lovely in comparison. I might think they've been really good compared to the last class I taught where as compared to the class teacher's view of them they're always pains! I've had TA's saying to me 'I'm sorry the kids are a pain, they're always like this' just as I'm thinking how much of a welcome change they are, all doing as asked etc.
    Expectations everywhere are so different!
    I just always give my honest feedback. I say what happened each lesson, what was handed out at the end of the day/if notes were handed in at the start/if any parents told me anything that needed passing on and any behaviour problems and the sanctions they got for them.

11. To some English Essays subject, lots are doing claims for homework and seatwork especially test given. With this, find a good list and priority things by writing it from the necessity to the least important ones. Education Essay is one of the most important thing that the given tips given in here.

12. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I've done a mix of perm teaching, long term cover and short term supply, as either a perm or long term supply i've always wanted to know how well the class coped with the work and who deserves praise and who needs a telling off. So when i leave feedback I try and make sure i say how well the work went and what was done etc and a run down on general behaviour and any specific kids be they good or bad.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've found this thread really interesting. As a full time secondary teacher, I can't remember the last time I had any written feed back left for me by anyone-supply, CS or unlucky colleague!
    I'm now changing allegiance as I'm recently retired and am hoping for some supply work. I decided to try and see the situation from both sides and, as I'm reluctant to leave anything without future reference, I am going to buy a duplication book thingy-you know the sort, write on one sheet and it goes through to the next. I am more than happy to leave notes as long as I've got a copy to refer back to should there be any problem later.

14. I like that idea, Dragonlady, but where do we stand on confidentiality if we've named children?

15. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

I am truly amazed that the school went to the bother to phone the agency to speak to you about not collecting in some work. If it is vital work then it should be pointed out in bold letters otherwise sometimes I often say finish it off for homework and hand in at the next lesson. I would then say what I had done so that the teacher was aware there was homework to come back.

A bit harsh I think.

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Bum!! I hadn't thought of that. [​IMG]
    Any ideas anyone? Pretty please?

17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't you blank out names or use XXXXX and write names separately?

18. les25paul

les25paul Lead commenter

Likewise I think thats an excellent idea and might use it myself.
    The confidentiality remark is a good point but I cannot see it being an issue. Your notes are private and if there is no comeback after a reasonable period of time (what ever that is) they can be destoryed.
    If there is any comeback (which I think will be unlikely) the notes are only to jog your memory since you have already put in writing the names and events anyway.
    Just be VERY careful not to leave them lying around when they could fall into the wrong hands, that would be a problem.