1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving etc collections

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Jul 23, 2010.

1. impulce metioned on another thread the tyranny of leaving etc collections and feeling you have to put in as much as everyone else, no matter how broke you're feeling
    we keep a pile of envelopes in the school office, and everyone goes in and makes their contribution anonymously - put in your money, sign the card. no one knows how much anyone else has put in. you're free to put more for someone you've really valued without putting any noses out of joint, and free not to contribute/sign for someone you feel you don't really know (or like? [​IMG] )
    how does your school do it?

2. At the school I have just left (yay!) all staff contribute the same amount at the beginning of the new school year. Teachers put in £15, TAs and other support staff put in £7.50.
    One member of staff is responsible for the money and for the card and present buying.
    It seemed odd when they first told me but I can see the logic of it. Today, for example, three members of staff left and another is getting married during the holidays. All had a card and a present and not a collection envelope in sight!

3. We get an individual anonymous envelope in our pigeon holes for each person leaving etc and we decide if we want to use them or not and how much we put in if we do.

4. We have an envelope that travels around to each class, you sign the card, put money in the envelope (if you wish) so nobody knows how much everyone contributed... seems sensible - although I never seem to have money on me when the envelope comes round so I have to chase it up later on if it is someone I like.
    We have had a lot of members of staff leave and have babies this year so it does build up

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I know a secondary head that got seventeen pounds in the whip round.
    a complete git, and we think someone in SMT padded it.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

One HT I worked for (not the last one) got someone's visa card chopped in half in his collection.

When I left my last school I wrote an open letter to the local papers. Everyone asked for the money back that they'd contributed to my collection.

7. The admin assiatnt attached to each dept wanders about with the card and the begging bowl. 14 people left today and I am SKINT!
    More depressing is that during the speeches about how much they'd miss everyone I was struck with the realisation that if I were leaving today, there isn't a person there whom it would cause me the least discomposure to never see again in my life.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I was contemplating such like as I stumped up for Work Experience gifties.... and along the lines of how I was spending more on them than was collected for me on leaving my last post.......
    .... I must be a right g/i/t then! Either that or a lot of people were leaving.[​IMG]
    Actually today I got more in end of term pressies than I got then too!
    Hooray for working parents!

9. We normally get an envelope sent round with a Y6 child. I quite often say "Sorry ive no cash on me today" but on the occasions that they keep coming back, I give in.
    This year it has been all for people I like and have valued working with, so ive not regretted putting money in, but it all adds up when lots of people leave/have significant birthdays all at once!

10. Obviously I am not in a school.
    We have an envelope passed around for leaving, birthdays, weddings, whatever. You pop in your money, sign the card and pass it on via whichever trainee has been condemned to lope from department to department.
    It then finally goes to the secretary of the CEO - and he tops it up, so that for every colleague a present of "equal" value can be bought.
    Theoretically, it would be perfectly possible to sign the card without putting any money in the envelope, but by all accounts, we are generous souls and the envelope tends to get heavy (good way of getting rid of your spare change, lol).

11. I've worked in lots of schools and I like the ones that ask every person to stump up £x each year which the secretary then uses to buy flowers and cards for whoever. I work in a huge school now and regularly get asked for money for people I've not even met. When I've been in charge of a collection I've put a note in everyone's pigeon holes and left a collecting cup in my pigeon hole for people to add to if they wish. I think the words you write in the card linger far longer than any other memory for the recipient. I'll always chip in even if I don't like the person, noone deserves a kick up the ehind when they leave / get married / have a baby.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If I know and like the person I buy them a card and/or gift myself, if I don't I don't bother.
    I used to teach at a school (for about 18 months) where we did the £10 per year into a kitty and no collections - contributed £15 towards people I didn't know and had never spoken to in some cases (it was a big school) and then was told when I left "you have to be here 3 years to be mentioned on the last day and get a gift".
    I much prefer my current method.

13. My school don't 'do' presents for weddings but they do for most other things. We just get a note in our trays to say a collection is happening. Often we don't put in money but we do make up a hamper suitable for the occasion and you add a gift of your own value for that person. People always seem happy with that!

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We have an envelope which is kept in the office and the secretary (sorry, the Bursar) writes everyone's initials on the envelope and then hounds them till they cough up and can have a tick against their initials. I keep a stash of foreign coins ready.

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Envelopes came round at my school with a list to tick for signing the card and donations if someone was leaving or if it was a decade birthday. At leastyou get to choose how much you give for the specific person.
    Usually I gave pretty generously, I did give a person a miss on the donation part once because I hated him and was glad he was leaving.
    When I left, I had really lovely prezzy from the staff.

16. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

My current school has a system where a person of the department a person is leaving has a collection and this is advertised via email....some envelopes can be hidden in quite obscure places! My last school pinned brown envelopes up on the notice board for all to see - nothing covert or private there!

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We have presents for announcing you might be having an op. Going for an op. After the op. Out of hospital. I think you get the picture.

I hate it. I never want a fuss made. I'm paid to work there. I'm not a saint. My last place I was asked to go to a presentation but I drove off. I hated that school and a lot of people knew it so I didn't want a gift.

A card is nice but a gift? No.

Also there are some pretty skint people in our place and it must be awful to be harassed to donate. I don't know half the people in my school anyway.

Miserable git? Maybe I am. But it can get out of hand and in our place it most certainly has!

18. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

We contribute £15 at the beginning of the school year. I'm not sure exactly what this pays for, as at the end of term, we still get envelopes appearing in our department offices with names on for staff that are leaving. We had about 10 envelopes this time.
    That's just for whole staff contributions. Within the department, our HOD, who loves her labelmaker, prints of labels for envelopes which go in our pigeon holes (complete with our initials) saying 'If you'd like to contribute to X's leaving gift, please place £5 in this envelope and return to Y by ZZZZ'
    Bit OTT if you ask me. I only contribute extra on top of the initial £15 if it's someone I've had a lot to do with or who is especially nice to me.

19. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

The secretary at my current school just keeps the envelopes in her office and we go and contribute however much we wish and sign the card. At my old school (my god how I disliked some of those people) the bursar and secretary would keep the envelopes behind the reception desk and hound you until you paid up. They would then watch how much you contributed and write it next to your name on the envelope. Needless to say I didn't contribute for long and just bought my own pressie for people I liked and actually knew!

20. Many a year ago, we had the pay large sum up front and then not worry approach , but times change and staff didn't want to do that - no idea why. Now, it's down to departments to make the collection themselves for people in their department. I find not having money and being more elusive a good tactic for not paying for those staff I don't want to.