1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mric83, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mric83

Mric83 New commenter

Sorry to add to the endless threads on Dubai folks. This one is about leaving so any kind of help or experiences would be great.

After 3 years here, i'm more or less certain that it's time to move on from the melting pot and give somewhere else a go. I never thought after my first few months here that I would be ready to leave quite so soon. I can't deny that it's been a lot of fun and the younger person in me would certainly stay for a while longer. However, I do feel that I've navigated the brunch circuit, seen the sights and soaked up enough of the sun; to point where I've recently thought 'what else is there?'

I think the time is right to look to somewhere which, dare I say it, is a little more real. More greenery, more walking opportunities, and probably a little more slower paced. Dubai can operate 100 miles an hour at times and everything can be so convenient. Whilst it can be great to have a lot on, it can also be exhausting!

I guess i'd just like some peoples experiences upon leaving. Was it something you found hard or a shock to the system? Is it a move that proved to be the right/wrong one? It feels like i'm at a bit of a crossroads moment and not quite ready to return to the UK so any kind of help or advice would be really appreciated.

2. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

My wife and I left international teaching to return to the UK last year and we were both ready to move back for different reasons, family being the main one and wanting to get on the housing ladder etc. We think we will move abroad again to teach in a few years to give our daughter some worldly experiences but are happy with our decision so far. We went through a range of emotions really. Very sad to leave friends and colleagues and the life we had in Asia but we knew we were ready when things started niggling us so knew it was time to move on. There are still days when we miss it and the lifestyle but we're happy to be away from the hustle and bustle and fast paced lifestyle. We have re-connected with friends and family in the UK and have come home with a much more balanced outlook on work life balance (which we wouldn't have had if we had not been working internationally). One thing to sort out sooner rather than later is transporting your luggage and goods back to the UK and the school should foot that bill.

Mric83 likes this.
  3. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

If you're happy with the life but not with the pace have you thought of staying in UAE but trying one of the other emirates? Um Al Quwain and RAK come to mind as pace of life is slower and living costs cheaper.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Try a different part of the world. There are international schools in just about every country, most of them with more natural green spaces. Many with more measured pace of life. Have at it!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bulgaria! Yes, it is real, especially the brown cloud of smog over Sofia (probably the most polluted city in Europe) and the stupid Communist bureaucracy that seems to have a zombie-like life in the Ministry of Education. On the other hand, the rather good Bulgarian plonk is quite real, judging from my headache this morning. The absurdly-low house prices are also real, once you get out of the capital.

And I am not sure about "having a lot on", Mric83. That does on the ski slopes, at Borovets and Vitosha, but it does not happen much when some Bulgarian (and expat) ladies get to the Black Sea beaches in the summer.

At this point I usually mention my blog but, in the spirit of New Year resolutions, I am going to keep my promises to the TES Moderators. What a good little hippopotamus I am this morning!

tb9605 and TeacherMan19 like this.
  6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

In recent times I have thought a lot about Bulgaria. I wonder where I could be getting these influences...

stopwatch likes this.
  7. the hippo

No idea, TeacherMan19.

stopwatch likes this.
  8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As another poster has said, if it is just the pace of life that you have had enough of, then maybe consider staying put, but dropping out of the circuit. I was in Dubai for 7 years, but, after about 3 years, stepped back and led a more private, slower paced life. It was quite straightforward.
    It can be a big upheaval to move countries, let alone schools - and there is always the risk that you don't like the new place/school, or don't even get a job at all.
    If it is the greenery that you miss, maybe spend your holidays in countries which are greener (Asia?) Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka).
    I moved from my first overseas post after 3 years and a) regretted it b) ended up somewhere I (borderline) hated.
    Is the school/job where you are working, a good one? does it have a good package?
    If you are only 'more or less certain', perhaps you might need to reconsider ways in which you can get a different lifestyle whilst staying where you are
    The grass isn't always greener (pun intended)
    Good Luck @Mric83

Mric83 and the hippo like this.
  9. the hippo

Some wise words from old stoppers, as per usual.

In my experience, the grass is usually greener over the septic tank.

stopwatch likes this.
  10. Mric83

Mric83 New commenter

@stopwatch Some really helpful words there thank you! I think it's genuinely just a case of weighing up the pro's and cons really. The school I work at is generally good. Decent salary, helpful staff and supportive SLT. In a place where work can be hit and miss, it is something I should perhaps be more grateful for. The lifestyle is fun and there is always things happening at the weekend.

On the other side, having now hit an age closer to 40 and perhaps not as settled as i'd like (still single), there is that thought in the back of the mind as to whether it is the right place for a prolonged stay

11. the hippo

There are lots of very attractive Chinese ladies in their 30s and early 40s who would very much like to find themselves a laowai (foreigner) hubby, Mric83. And some of them are seriously rich!

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

In China, or in Dubai? Rich? How rich? (Asking for a friend)

nomad, TeacherMan19 and dumbbells66 like this.
  13. the hippo

In China, of course. The ones in Dubai have already found themselves a man (or two). As for how rich, I could not guess. I daresay you would find out quite quickly, if you were to meet one. That is what happened to a young friend of mine who is now married to a seriously rich lady in Shenzhen.

stopwatch likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I had a Chinese girlfriend once.

Half an hour later I wanted another one.

(With apologies to Chinese take-away meals everywhere...)

stopwatch likes this.