1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving dates

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by LB213, Jan 1, 2018.

1. LB213

LB213 New commenter

After a lot of soul searching, I have made the decision to leave my post and leave teaching.
    I am a good teacher (so I'm told!) and have had some amazing experiences to date but I need to make a change. I do not make decisions lightly and this has been a while coming.
    I am looking for help about the dates that I need to put in my letter of resignation.
    I want to leave at the end of the Spring term which, for my school, is 29th March and they return on 10th April.
    Would I put the 29th March or 10th April? I'm just not sure if I put the last teaching date or last date of term.
    Thank you in advance for your help!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the standard date is the 30th April.
    In theory schools can ask people to return for a few weeks after Easter, but in practice they appoint someone new to start at the beginning of term and pay the outgoing teacher until the end of the holidays.

I think I would put 30th April, but speak to the head when handing in my letter and mentioning that I've put the standard date, but am expecting to be released on the last day of the holidays in order for the new person to start on the first day of term.

More knowledgeable people than me may well give you better advice.

3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yes, the standard date for spring term resignation is the 30/04. Make sure that you state this on your resignation letter to ensure that you receive salary payment up to that date!