1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving date

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Mrjackuk, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Mrjackuk

Mrjackuk New commenter

New to TES forums and this is my first post as I really need some help with this. Never had an issue before but now really need some advice...

I have been teaching for 15 years. 14 and a half of them in a different county - I have recently moved county (to Nottinghamshire) and schools after spending the first 14.5 years in another school - where I was an outstanding teacher and leader, respected by the school community and enjoyed every second of my career.

I made a mistake in moving school in that the ethos does not match my own principles (nor anyone else's that work in the school I work in now.) I have jumped through every hoop and have until this past week been an outstanding practitioner and leader in this new school. A week ago, I gained employment at another school which seems to closely my principles and ethos. No offence to the school I work in, things work differently in every school and for different situations, and I have done everything asked of me (and more) to the point of the head offering me promotion already. Before I found another job…

Since gaining new employment, this has now all changed. I was told that I had until Friday to hand my notice in to either leave at Easter or June. I agreed June so that I was able to take the children through SATs as I do want the very best for my class, as I have I done for every child I have ever had the pleasure of teaching. However, my working conditions and the way I am being treated by my leader has deteriorated dramatically and I am being made to feel...well, the worst I have ever felt in such a wonderful career so far. I won't go into details but it is like nothing I have ever experienced before. The worst.

The new school want me to start ASAP but I have told them that I need to ensure the best outcomes for pupils. But I am being taken out of lessons constantly for other leadership responsibilities and then penalised for having a HLTA cover my teaching - when this is what has been organised by the powers above. It is becoming clear to me that I am not required as a teacher but just to cover until it is appropriate to advertise at peak time,

What I need to know now is, what is the legal time limit to hand my notice in? What is the minimum time I can work at this school I am in now? I have worked there for less than two years...I notice on my new contract people who work less than two years can give two weeks’ notice? I am so worried that I am going to be dragged through a lot of negativity over the next 11 weeks as I stay to make it look like I am dead wood (which I am not!) and that it is a good thing I am leaving...there has been a lot of staff movement since I started in September. To have SLT and the newest starter leave must look bad and I have seen other leavers be made to look worse than what they were to make it look like an advantage.

Please help.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you're in a school (like most schools) with normal T &C, your last day for resigning for Easter was today, I'm afraid. And as you appear already to have agreed a date for June, even if you'd gone in today wishing to resign for Easter, your head could refuse on the grounds that you'd agreed to a specific contract.

Take union advice.

3. Mrjackuk

Mrjackuk New commenter

Thank you Middlemarch. I have contacted my union about it.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter