1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving current job for PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by peanut333, May 28, 2019.

1. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Hello

I'm just after a bit of advice of how to approach handing in my notice before going off to my teacher training in September.

I had a pretty rocky few months after graduating last year. Despite having spent some time doing and loving some work experience in secondary schools I talked myself out of teaching to avoid falling into the languages graduate stereotype careers - teacher or translator.

I ended up in an office job which was god damn awful for a number of reasons. Abusive management, constant overtime, I could go on. I eventually got myself away and gave into the fact I wanted to do teaching. By then it was October 2018, so I needed another job to keep me going until September 2019. I've been working as a receptionist since November and planning to hand my notice in next month but I really don't know what to say to my management. I'm very new to the world of work and don't really know how things are done.

My mental health was not in a good way after my last job and the management at my current place have been kinder than I could have ever imagined. They've really helped me to find my confidence again for which I'm incredibly grateful. I feel guilty for leaving because of how kind they've been to me, but I need to move on for my own development.

Do I pretend to have just had a realisation over night to be a teacher and did a last minute application? Or should I be honest that I've been planning this for a while?
    Do I give them a pre warning about handing my notice in or should I just turn up with it one day?
    I basically just don't want to come across as selfish for leaving. I know a receptionist vacancy will be easy to refill but I just don't want them to feel like I've screwed them over.

Any advice on how to approach this would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

A really honest letter detailing why you are leaving and thanking them.

Are you absolutely sure teaching is the correct career for you?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Thanks, Marshall. I'd much rather be honest with them.

I am sure yes. It's all I've been able to think about recently. I'm super excited for starting my course. I just didn't want to dwell too much on that as it wasn't really the focus of the post :)

Pomza likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'd just turn up with the letter - don't overthink it. You don't need to give all the details behind going into teaching. I got an office job for a short period of time which I packed in to do the PGCE (many years ago). Plenty of graduates work for a bit before teacher training. Your situation isn t unusual and if they know you've worked in secondary schools, they won't be surprised.
    If they've been good to you then you can show your appreciation in the letter.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Oh well you know going into teaching is quite noble. Much as you are enjoying working for the company, your calling to make a difference to children's lives is overwhelming and you’ve succumbed to the calling.

They'll be fine...

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do the right thing.

Speak to your line manager and tell them what your plans are so you are open and honest and then they are forewarned.

You are not selfish for wanting to pursue your chosen career. If you have worked hard and done your best in your job then you leave with a clear conscience.

Employers have staff leaving all the time. They are used to it and many have special departments (HR) to hire people and deal with them when they leave. There is nothing personal in it. They wanted a job done - you did it, hopefully well, in the time you were there and they paid you for the work. Now it's time to move on.

Look at the positives - you are moving on to the career you want, you are keeping the HR people in a job and you are probably doing the next person to get your post a good turn by leaving. Winners all round!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Do not teach in the UK. Get out as soon as you can.

binaryhex and pepper5 like this.
  8. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

thanks, everyone for your advice. My manager was actually so supportive when I told her. It couldn't have gone any better really. I know teaching is going to be difficult from every perspective, but I'm excited for the challenge :)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"I know teaching is going to be difficult from every perspective"

Yes, it is.

It is poorly paid and you are likely to be poor for the rest of your teaching life, many teachers quit in the first few years of their careers, you can wave goodbye to a social and family life, you will put yourself at a higher risk of mental illness, you will probably suffer from exhaustion, sleep and toilet problems not to mention stress and anxiety issues brought about by a totally unreasonable workload. Make sure you do your homework re the languages to teach and the jobs situation - some languages are in serious decline in schools, and with so few courses and so many teachers hunting for jobs, you will need to be exceptional (or exceptionally cheap) to stand a chance of getting a job in the scummiest of schools let alone a good school.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47334374

Good luck with your change in career.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. hiltoncamilla

hiltoncamilla New commenter

Im glad it went well for you and good luck with the teacher training!