1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Leaving Blighty.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dash201, Apr 11, 2012.

  1. dash201

    dash201 New commenter

    So I am doing the off from my beloved UK and need to know a few things!

    I am taking all the normal steps of informing BT and all the others and I know I need to fill in a P85 for Mr Tax Man but now I am wondering whether I need to keep making a contribution to National Insurance.

    In all honesty, I don't know whether I will come back to the UK again (only on holidays) so what do I do???

    Thanks for any advice in advance.

    IAMBOG New commenter

    I didn't pay NI for years, but recently started again. I pay voluntary category 2, which maintains and grows my state pension. It's a pretty good deal at 12.50 pound a month. Some will say it won't be worth a hill of beans by the time I retire, but for that small amount I'm prepared to take the risk.
  3. rednelly84

    rednelly84 New commenter

    You need to have worked 30 years in the UK so you can claim your state pension. I currently have 10 and so am not paying at the present time as advised by the NI department. I'm fortunate that I began paying when I was 16 and am still young enough that it isn't so much of an issue. Pf course, if you are older, your circumstances may be different. Ask the NI people for your current status.
  4. You need to contribute for 30 years, not work.
    I was STRONGLY advised by three wise men (my brother-in-law, my FA and Mainwaring), to start paying back lost years - I am doing so and recommend everyone else to do so. I have had to fork out some pretty big lumps of cash, but the NI accepted my request to pay back and I doubt I will regret it.
    The pension presently is £140 a week; if there are two of you, £280. £1120 a month, £13,500 a year (if I get a paper round, too, it will cover my beer!). Statistically, the best pension around, I think. If you are not in Teachers' superann anymore, what else are you going to do?
    If I am in the UK when I receive my pension it will be index linked - if I stay abroad, it won't be.
    Please feel free to correct any facts I might have got wrong, but this what I have been led to believe is the case.

  5. Trying to sort this out myself. Out of interest PP, which class NICs do you voluntarily contribute? Just class 3 yeah?
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Mrs Hippo and I are hoping that my teacher's pension will go a long way in Bulgaria and I am also paying in my NI to top up my state pension.

    IAMBOG New commenter

    I didn't pay in for about 10 years. I had 14 years in there already and probably 20 years to retirement, so I elected not to backdate, but simply to start paying in again monthly.
    Another reason I wanted to start paying monthly (rather than backdating) was because I have two kids who might end up at uni in the UK and I believe one of the things that is looked at for home status is continued NI payments by the parents. I will pay NI long enough to get 30 years in, which is just about the same amount of time it will take for my kids to start uni. If I had made the backdated payments and continued to pay monthly up to the point my kids went to uni I would be wasting my money.

Share This Page