1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving before end of term-summer pay?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by AnnaPln, Jun 25, 2020.

1. AnnaPln

AnnaPln New commenter

Im a teaching assistant working on a pro rata basis. I notified my line manager that I wish to leave two weeks ago. (legally our notice period is 4 weeks but usually they can let you go earlier-after two weeks iv been told)

Iv been advised by our business manager then, that I shouldnt give my notice in until the end of the summer term (so give it in late july saying im resigning end of august) which is good advice, so that I get my summer pay.

However, I currently feel that I cannot take it anymore due to my own mental health issues coming back. I am not really that needed as we are just doing random post corona duties, therefore my supervisor would definitely not mind me going earlier than end of summer.

My question is: if I quit before the end of term, am I still not entitled to the summer pay, since it is worked out on pro rata basis (so monthly they were taking £100 off my wage).

If the case is that I am still entitled to summer pay, I should have given my notice period two weeks ago and they’d probably let me go about nowish (two weeks is the usual they let people off on). But thinking Im not entitled to it if I dont stay until the end (which could be true-but not sure if thats how it legally works?) I havent handed in my notice at all yet.

I tried to work the rest of the term but I cannot do it. My only other option is to go on sick leave for three weeks until the end of term and then hand notice in for end of august, but I think that looks a bit rude and obvious.

What should I do in my situation?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi AnnaPin, sorry you are feeling so low. I think lots of TAs are finding they have a completely different role at the moment, and things are changing day to day. Many of our TAs (those who are not in bubbles) are making resources, doing major 'clear out and re-organise' jobs and getting ready for September. The SBM sounds to be giving you very good advice.

I'm no expert at this, but if you leave before the end of term, you're probably not entitled to be paid right up until the end of August. Your annualised salary is worked out on a whole year of term time plus the holiday weeks you are allowed - probably 4 or 5. If you don't work the whole year, they can say you've already had those weeks' holiday (at Christmas and Easter, etc) and you will not be paid for all of the summer holidays.

If it were me, I'd definitely do my best to get through the next three week ... 15 days ... and leave on the last day of term. It will make things easier all round. If that is not possible for you, going sick might be your only option. As you say, you could then send in your notice on the last day and leave at the end of August.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.