1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving at Easter - what to tell the children?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by upsadaisy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Tell them that you have got a job at a much nicer school, where the children are very well behaved. That they have swings and slides in their playground. That once a week they get chocolate at snack time. That every Friday is non-uniform day and they finish early. There's no homework ever.

2. Say Goodbye- it's been a pleasure!
    Same thing happened to me with a Y6 class, once I explained it was fine, children cope and move on.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOVE IT upsadaisy!! I might try that when I leave....

In fact I might leave just to be able to try that! With a grin cos my class are lovely!

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

they will cope, of course, but don't sell yourself short either.
    I picked up a year 5 class at Easter last year. We worked togther very well, but there were times wjhen individuals did miss their previous teacher. One boy, a real handful, suddenly burst into tears a few weeks in, just because he missed the previous teacher and "how much she had done to help him"
    Do give them time to make you a card and say goodbye in their own way.
    And enjoy the change of scene too!
    strange how some new heads seem to go out of their way to offload experienced teachers

5. So true!!!
    Thanks everyone for the advice, both serious and (I hope) sarcastic!
    Well told them on Friday. Did the whole sad to be leaving them, they'll do fine, their next teacher is lovely etc. Generally they were fine. Few of the girls cried, but had the learning mentor in the class to help deal with that.
    Some of the parents after school wished me well, which was a surprise. Was expecting a bit of hostility, but there is still time for that!!

6. Excellent!!!!

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

perhaps they have seen through the head too! children will have!