1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving at Easter, pay confusion!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by butterfly-blue, Feb 17, 2016.

1. butterfly-blue

butterfly-blue New commenter

Hi there,
    I am leaving my job at Easter and don't yet have another post. The school have confirmed my last working day to be the 24th March and that my contract will end on 30th April. Does this mean I get paid in April too? Or presumably only until my last working day? What about the holiday? I will be writing reports but they have already appointed a replacement so don't require me to work as such. Thanks :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You get paid until 30 April, unless you get another job teaching and start that sooner. In which case they will pay you up to the day before the first day of term in the next school.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

It's always a bit confusing because Easter moves around!

Best wishes

3. butterfly-blue

butterfly-blue New commenter

Hi Theo,
    Thanks for your reply and for the link. That's great news. I had read a few different things but thought I probably wouldn't get paid for April as I would be leaving at the end of March. I guess it would be just the same as leaving before the summer holiday though wouldn't it?
    Many thanks,

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Unlike in the summer holiday, the school would be within its rights to expect you to work from the start of the summer term until 30th April. I am surprised that they are not taking advantage of this and using you for reports, cover etc. Still, that isn't your problem - well done on getting such a good deal.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I left at Easter and wasn't paid for April.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me!

What sort of school were you in?

You certainly SHOULD have been, since the official end of the term for Easter is 30 April.

Best wishes