1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving at Easter but been asked to write full end of year reports before I go

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by raspberrybuzz, Mar 3, 2016.

1. raspberrybuzz

raspberrybuzz New commenter

Although I am leaving at the end of this term, my Head has told me that I have to write end of year reports for all the subjects I teach before I leave, as the new teacher will only have four weeks before she has to start writing reports for her new class. She has also said that I need to write all Forest School reports from September 2015 to the end of this term, of which there are eighty. Along with the Maths, English, Science, Art, History, Geography reports, this is a huge amount of work to do on top of everything else! I don't want to leave on a sour note, but I think that this is a of an unreasonable and unrealistic request. I have done a rather conservative estimate of the time I think will be required to do all of the reports and it comes in at fifty one hours! This doesn't include having to update our Rising Stars 'target tracker' and mark the end of term Rising Stars assessments before I go, which I think I should do.
    I am very anxious about this and feel somewhat 'peeved' at being told - not asked - to do the reports. I would be grateful for some input from anyone about this. What should I do about it? What am I required to do?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think I'd 'forget', or more likely genuinely run out of time… leave good summaries and clear assessment/ data records….

3. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

Request time out of class! Fair enough new teacher won't know children, but unfair to ask so much in such a short space of time.

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I would go with this, if they are not willing then do what you can and walk away - not your problem you have been professional as you can be.

raspberrybuzz likes this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This

I think it'd be unfair both on new teacher and on the students to expect a full year report from someone who's only taught them for a few weeks. Explain that you'd be more than happy to do it but that you need time to be able to do it properly.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with the above. To be fair, you are going to have to make a major contribution as it is you who has taught the kids for the majority of their time. Ask for time out of class- realistic if you are to complete them in time. Reality is you will have to compromise on quality. I would get *something* down for each kid.

In all due respect, I am not sure you are being entirely truthful that they will take 51 hours though....

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I hate reports. Really do. Think they are anachronistic and pointless. It is your job though....

8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I left my first teaching post in the Easter and wrote full reports for the two terms I had covered. The teacher who took over from me then added additional information and filled any gaps which hadn't been covered. The job I went into, I had reports written for me by the teacher who I was replacing and, again, I just filled in the gaps for things I then taught in that first summer half-term. I was fine with this as there was no way I could accurately write reports my for new class and there was no way the teacher taking over from me could do so either.

Seems like the expectations of detail in reports is quite high. Do other staff get time in the summer term to write reports? If so, I would have thought you were entitled to ask for this to write yours.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Ask for time. If it's not give, then write them all in such detail as allows you to complete them - in other words short/with a fair amount of 'cut & paste'. I'd also keep them 'hidden' from the school until just before the end of term, so it is too late to tell you to redo them when they are actually submitted.

PS Remember in most secondary schools teachers get extra 'freed up' time in the summer term when years 11 & 13 leave, which allows them to complete reports. If your colleagues get this normally, then ask for similar now.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Are you going to another post where someone else will have done the same for you? If so, there'll be no net loss of time, but I agree with others who say you'll need time off to do it. Either that or make sure something else is seriously neglected or cancelled (ie after school activity) in order to fit it all in.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

@raspberrybuzz z Did you mean to include the name of the school?:eek:

edit: or is it something else?

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@Dunteachin I don't think raspberrybuzz did mention a particular school. 'Forest School' is a type of learning that takes place in an outdoor environment from what I understand. My old school follows this ethos in Early Years.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would not write a full report.

I would certainly leave comprehensive notes which the new teacher may use as she wishes.

I would make extensive use of copy and paste.

14. raspberrybuzz

I have eighty Forest School reports at 50 words each, and the word count for English and Maths is 250 each, plus 50 words for the foundation subjects...i would say that would take me quite close to fifty one hours!! :) Also I have to update the rising stars stuff and mark assessment papers for rising stars second half of spring term papers....:=(

15. raspberrybuzz

something else! :) But thank you for pointing that out, just in case! :)

16. raspberrybuzz

Not going to another post, happy to ensure I do a good, professional hand over, but don't think, with the best will in the world, I have the time to do all the written reports :-(

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Cut & paste' is your friend then! ;)

18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would be looking to leave fairly reasonable notes. I would be tending towards more than a touch of cut and paste with some areas, saving the detail for maths and English. A lot of the children will have had similar experiences so no harm in similar reports.

raspberrybuzz and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Cut and paste.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In which case if you're going anyway, try to cancel any superfluous out of normal hours 'extras' that eat into your time - it's not like they can sack you for it is it?