1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving and not looking back!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacher_abc123, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

After much soul-searching, I’ve decided that I’m off! I only did three years (plus the PGCE which nearly killed me!) but the damage done is such that I need to walk away. Time to look for something different ☺️I don’t feel like I’ve failed at teaching - just that I didn’t work out and that I can finally put it to one side.
    Good luck to everyone grappling with these decisions

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Teacher

Many congratulations on making a choice for a new start.

Nothing you learn is ever wasted and there are many jobs where your skills and knowledge will come on useful.

Please be assured you sre not a failure and to do four years is quite an achievement so be proud of yourself.

All the very best for your new start whatever that might be.

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I hope all works out well for you in the future. As you say, you gave it a go but it wasn't for you. I have always advocated that our young people deserve to be taught by enthused, interested, motivated teachers that have balance in their lives and indeed, many are happy wit their jobs and their students undoubtedly benefit but for many it's just a relentless struggle from one school holiday to the next.

The recently announced 2.75% above inflation pay rise does little to redress the 10 years of frozen pay and 1% pay rises and the fact that the payments must come from existing budgets means even worse working conditions and loss of staff. Teachers generally do every thing they can for their students but the government (if the current shambles can be considered to be governing) just try everything they can to make that harder.

4. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Congratulations. 3 yrs is 3 yrs too long in my book..

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Think teaching failed you not you failed at teaching

6. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Hope you find a job you enjoy and pays enough to cover your bills. Leaving a full time post is daunting, however your PGCE and 3 years experience leaves you a lot of moves on the chess board away from ever ending up on the streets. I've not had a proper job for three years but have never missed a meal or a mortgage payment! There is always work on supply that you can dip in and out of. A PGCE is a great safety net I don't ever regret getting that qualification!

7. Teacher_abc123

I feel guilty for saying teaching failed me...but, what the heck! Maybe it did :)

Marisha, pepper5, vannie and 4 others like this.
  8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Leaving jobs, changing careers is normal. You have not failed.
    A friend of mine started life as a checkout girl at Sainsburys. No qualifications. She ended her working life with loads of qualifications and worked as a CBT therapist both privately and for the NHS. I don't need to list all of the jobs and qualifications that she had along the way.
    You have a degree and a PGCE. You have lots of experience which you gained from teaching : people skills, admin skills...etc. The world is your oyster - Go for it!

agcb256, pepper5, agathamorse and 9 others like this.
  9. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Teaching is just a poorly paid job. Sadly it does create some martyrs who end up feeling chuffed if they lose their home life, sanity and sense of reality. It also creates stressed out workers, low paid employees and depression. You are escaping - well done!

agcb256, Mrsmumbles, jarndyce and 5 others like this.
  10. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

You did well, statistics say that 5 years is the maximum for a lot of people! Hope that whoever you decide to do instead goes well for you! :)

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck on the other side!:)

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Changing careers is not such a big thing. You gave teaching a try and there is no dishonour in deciding it wasn't for you.
    Good luck with whatever you do next.
    Do ensure that you keep track of your Teachers' Pension. There may not be much in there, but it will add a little to your retirement funds in the future.

13. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Good luck! I lasted 4 years in the state sector - couldn't have done any more. It was hell. Now in the private sector and slowly enjoying it again.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This.

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Congratulations on lasting as long as this.

16. Teacher_abc123

Thanks folks. It does feel good to walk away from something bad. I used to think it was worth staying and fighting for change, but now when it started to make me ill!

amye_prendergast and pepper5 like this.
  17. Egghead19

Egghead19 New commenter

Would love to know what you're doing? I've been an English teacher for 14 years and am now truly desperate to get out (to give you an idea of how desperate, I've just been on the 'Samaritans' thread...), but I cannot find anything to go to as I don't have experience or qualifications in anything else. I feel utterly trapped.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Teacher_abc123

Hi, I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. To be honest, I have no idea what I’m doing next, but I’ve got settlement agreement money to keep me going until the end of September. I’ve also got Supply to use. My partner doesn’t make much money, but it’s enough to get by just in case.
    My goal is to look around to see if there are any jobs involving HR or admin in universities, colleges, public sector or private. But while looking, use supply to keep some money coming in. I’m fortunate in that my pay cut is not be too severe because I only taught for three years.
    I think there will be lots of things you can do with all your experience, but it’s always easier for other people to say that isn’t it? Good luck :)

agathamorse, pepper5 and jlishman2158 like this.
  19. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

With the amount of people leaving teaching, and the lack of people joining / lasting very long, I think we can agree that the education sector is failing MANY people at present:

Staff
    Students
    Parents

All of us.

Best wishes for a successful future - teaching is something you could come back to once the disaster which is the education sector in the UK is resolved!

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm off on Wednesday. 11.25 to be precise. Can't wait.
    The profession is sinking fast and plunging headfirst into a crisis from which it will take decades to recover from.