1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving and applying out...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by marmitemate, Jan 19, 2019.

1. marmitemate

marmitemate New commenter

So, I'm slowly shuffling to the exit door, I just in a bit of a quandary. I'm currently SLT, but I have to leave...(sadly for the usual reasons) So. I'm applying out and a couple of really interesting SLT jobs have come up, I've visited the schools and conversations have been positive.

However, I've also got the opportunity to return to one of my old schools, where they have said I can go back and just take time to regroup as they know I'll do a decent job for them. Would it look really bad to leave my current role go back to my old place as a teacher and apply out to SLT roles at the same time (deadlines for these roles are in the next couple of weeks) - would that raise questions in my application? and if I apply out now, would I have to tell them at interview that I no longer work there and I've gone back to my old place??

And if asked why I did it, what could I say??? Without sounding like a bitter ex employee..

I realise its good to have options and I'm lucky, just stuck on how to proceed - should I stick or twist?? Any advice??

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Surely you'd have to give notice at your present school before you could return to your old school?

For me, if you were to return to your old school, where they'd be assuming you'll 'do a decent job for them' I think you' be honour obliged to stay a decent amount of time to do just that and not be applying elsewhere. Just my opinion though.

GirlGremlin, steely1, pepper5 and 4 others like this.
  3. marmitemate

There are circumstances that I can't go into, but I know that I can leave quite quickly, from a contractual perspective (I've sought union guidance on this) In terms of old school, they have been clear that they will support me and this is just a port in the storm move as they have a need. So, in terms of honesty they know where I stand and they are happy about that.. I know that I'm lucky in that respect

pepper5 and sabrinakat like this.
  4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

If you need time to regroup, I'd say take that route...and not think about applying out for the moment.
    Take the time - fill the need and then look. There will ALWAYS be SLT posts to apply for...

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

First of all, I’d make sure you have that offer from your old school in writing before you use your ‘get out of jail free’ card. What salary point? Temporary or permanent? Full time? If all that is in place then you can go for it.

As an ex headteacher, I’d have looked seriously at your application and experience if you convinced me that most of it had been successful. The break would matter less than that. I think we are realistic enough now to know that there are many reasons people move on. Give yourself time to regroup. Then could you convince us that you can do the job we need? That will be the important factor. Good luck.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

steely1 and sabrinakat like this.
  7. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

You are very lucky to have this opportunity and I'd be inclined to take it.

I was also lucky enough to find 'a port in a storm' as you put it, after I'd become disillusioned in a previous post and resigned with nothing to go to. The school needed me, albeit short term, I needed 'a port in a storm' and a reference,; it got me back on track and I'm now very happy in a new, longer term post.

You could see this opportunity as a kind of sign. Good luck whatever you decide.

JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

What does 'applying out mean?

9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Yes it would and I think what you’re planning on doing would be career damaging for yourself.
    You would not only burn your bridges with your current school, you would also burn your bridges with your previous school who it seems that you left on good terms?

If you’re looking for an SLT role, then stay where you are, apply for those positions, if you get them, then resign and then leave at Easter or Summer.

If you’re not looking for SLT yet and just a change, then by all means, apply for your old school, but be 100% sure in what you want to do.

Good Luc.k.

10. marmitemate

Thanks, too toxic to stay where I am, old school know the score and ate happy for me to apply out whilst there and have offered to support me.
    Just applying for other jobs in other schools..

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

What he/she said

Lara mfl 05 likes this.