1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

leaving after only one academic year

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rachfitz, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I started a head of drama position in a school in sept 2011 but looking to relocate to live with my boyfriend out of London.Is it bad that I am leaving this post so soon? How shall I word my new job applications? I am not sure of the schools in the area and was thinking of going on supply in the area. Is this a good idea or should I wait until I have a job, which could be ages and I am keen to live with my partner.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks

2. Definitely wait until you have a comparable job secured before you hand in your notice. Don't risk supply - there's not a lot about anymore and you might end up living a pretty hand to mouth existence whilst lamenting what happened to your career (well, possibly!) I would stay where you are for another year if you can. Having said that i know how you feel having been in a similar situation - i ended up taking a job in a totally unsuited school just so i could move to where my partner was. I stayed in that for a year and then found something better so it did work out in the end. I would not have handed in my notice without something to go to though.

3. I'd never leave without a job to go to, but it shouldn't be a problem - I was only at my last school for two terms and that was a middle management position.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Re-location for family reasons is a perfectly justifiable reason for moving, so that;s fine. And it is really much better to get a job before you resign
    However, I am not sure that I agree with this optimism about finding another post:
    Drama positions in general are pretty thin on the ground, HoD even more so. You may have to go down the career ladder, in which case you will need to explain that this, too, is for re-location reasons.
    Supply is highly unlikely to give you more than a few days per month . . . Go to the Supply Forum and see what they say there!
    By the way - before you start applying, don't forget to re-read all the clickables and other help threads inside the Welcome thread,
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Best wishes

5. Theo, I said I wouldn't leave without a job to go to [​IMG] I meant that having worked there for only a year should not be a problem with regard to applying for other positions!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Indeed you did - but what I queried was your apparent optimism about finding another post! Some hopes . . .
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes