1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving after one term.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MissB32, Sep 24, 2019.

1. MissB32

MissB32 New commenter

I have just joined a MAT and have decided it is not the place for me. Is it frowned upon to leave or start applying for new jobs after a term?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Depends if the frowner can afford to frown upon the frownee? If you are in the unfortunate position of being in a not-in-demand subject area and about 6 competent practitioners are at every interview you attend then yes it is highly risky.

If you're like me, doing long-term supply (which rarely lasts over a term, anyway) and no-one else would rock up then any half-baked excuse will suffice, "I felt that I couldn't achieve my full potential". In this scenario even a vengeful reference will be brushed off as a clash of personalities or whatever.

Let the frowners frown, even your current HoD and Head are powerless to do anything about it, should you hand your notice in before October 31st.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your current school won't be best pleased (unless they've also decided you're not the person for them), but if you give the requisite notice (check your contract) then they can't stop you going. A future school will want to know that you're not going to do the same to them, so you need to be ready with good reasons why you want to move on so quickly, preferably without being critical of the school. (That may not be possible, but perhaps you've discovered the commute is much longer than you thought it was going to be...)
    You'll need a reference from your current head when applying to others, and it's best to ask them poliely about providing one before putting in an application - some heads do not take kindly to getting a reference request they weren't forewarned about. It may be an awkward conversation; again, try to find a way to put things that is not critical of the school - you think you need to be in a larger department, or something like that.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

I would leave. If you think there's going to be a reference issue negotiate one through a union.

Honestly - if I was employing someone who had left a post after a term I would be asking more questions about the school than the individual. Heads are fully aware that some schools are not good places to work.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Excellent point from @muddyjudiff . Word gets around schools and HTs talk. I spent two years in a soul destroying place run by a HT who clearly modelled themselves on Pol Pot. Within a month of being in my current place, 2 members of SLT told me they knew about that HT, and did not like what they knew. Contrary to the standard narratives on the forums, some HTs are decent people who are genuinely appalled by the behaviour of others.

DYNAMO67 and agathamorse like this.
  6. BizzyLoz

BizzyLoz New commenter

I had to do this. I was in the exact same position a few years ago. I handed in my notice with the intention of leaving the profession, but thankfully immediately a friend in another school knew of my situation and got me in there and it was the best move. The member of SLT who dealt with my resignation tried to have a chat with me saying that she wished I'd spoken to them first and it came out of the blue, but this same person was the one who said to me just a week or so prior that I walked around giving off an air of nervousness. Go figure.

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I think leaving one school after a term won’t look too bad. Leaving lots of schools after one (non-supply) term would look like job-hopping, though.

DYNAMO67 likes this.