1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving after much consideration

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tara196, Sep 26, 2015.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I am really keen to leave my current position. It has become apparent that I don't share the same morals or approach to education as they do.for instance, rigging assessments and tracking to improve the appearance of data, which is incredibly frustrating. I have worked there for nearly three years and last year I began looking for jobs.

I had a few interviews but was unsuccessful- although HT had expressed their interest for different positions for me in the future. In some ways, the head has held this against me as he believes ' I don't want to be there'. I felt that this was a very harsh way of looking at my thirst for development in other schools.

I had my appraisal last week and outcome was not good. I put forward that there were many obstacles in the way last year of my Y6 lower ability attaining. Such as, a student teacher... Who subsequently failed and a pupil premium leader who did not conduct interventions. The head was not understanding yet agreed that last years targets were challenging. He felt that I should assess my own capabilities first.

In addition to this, I am language teacher for the ks2 and cover is organised whilst I teach Spanish. I have no extra ppa to plan for KS2 and in many cases have little ppa on a weekly basis as a result of theatre groups, school events etc...
    I feel like I am being exploited as a teacher and receiving no extra pay for doing two different teaching jobs!

I have decided to move on and I am at a cross roads. I am planning to hand my resignation in this half term but didn't know whether it was best to look for jobs and inform my head that I am actively seeking a new position.
    Or...
    Hand in my resignation and then my HT cannot feel jaded every time I go for a walk around.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First of all:

Could you survive with no job? Because if you hand in your notice before getting another position, you could find yourself with no job and therefore no salary come January.

Secondly:

Actually, your Head may not feel jaded, he may just not grant permission for you to go. You do know, don't you, that you have no right to visit another school during your own school's working hours? And, indeed, unless there is a local agreement to the contrary (there rarely is), you don't actually have the right to absent yourself from school for an actual job interview?

In both cases you need to ask permission, nicely, from your Head. It is unusual for permission not to be granted for job interviews, but it could be, Permission to go on visits is more often refused.

This is not a secure footing for applying for another post, I'm afraid, because this will be in your reference from your Head.

How about seeing if you could stick it out for a little longer, to get improvements in their perception of your performance so that you have a better reference? There is little point in applying if your reference is going to be off-putting to other schools . . .

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well done.

You clearly have professional integrity and self-respect

I would never recommend being party to this or turning a blind eye to it.

It's wrong and wholly unprofessional - if not unusual these days

4. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Dear Theo,

Will this decision always be mentioned in a reference? The decision is going to a pay review committee next month and it is over a target about SEN children making 4APS. I did put forward the argument of a student teacher having to teach 80% of the time for 2/3 of the year. This was a Y6 class and I raised many concerns about the student who ultimately failed...

I feel a little bit downhearted and I am in a loose:loose situation as I can't leave (with the thought of a poor reference) and I can't stay because I have given so much in my first few years as a teacher and it still is not enough.

5. tara196

tara196 New commenter

PS: Thank you very much for advice

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You are leaving a school that is knowingly making up data. That's a positive move. In my book fabrication of assessments and tracking is gross misconduct, although I appreciate my standards are not so widespread in the "profession" any more.

You are in the right here, and you ought to take a longer view of the situation...

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Scintillant your comments about the apparent falsification of data are quite correct. And I share your disapproval of this, very much so.

But from the point of view of poor @tara196 , she is not going to be able to put in an application By the way, as the Head generally falsifies all data and doesn't like me much because I pointed out that MY targets shouldn't be based on ANOTHER teacher's teaching, the reference will be rubbish.

Tara has to do what she can to leave on a sound footing.

I can't say what your Head will or will not put in a reference. But obviously one written just after the meeting where disappointment was expressed about your performance is more likely to be less supportive.

Have you talked to the KS2 Co-ordinator about this? And asked for support generally?

It might be a good idea to talk to somebody from SLT and say that you are unhappy and thinking of leaving but are worried about the possibility of a poor reference that would not accurately reflect your performance and achievements over all the years that you have been in the school. You never know - a Head who falsifies data might also be willing to write a reference that contradicts the Performance Review, if it meant getting rid of a thorn in his side who objected to the data issue . . .

8. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Thank you again for the advice!

I would say the appraisal meeting wasn't disastrous but he agreed with some points I argued and not with others and told me that there were lots of positives and not to dwell on the negatives. I received 'good' with some outstanding for my standards and it was only the target that let me down, which he had identified as 'challenging' last year.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@tara196 this is not as negative now as earlier:

You do need to talk to somebody about the possibility of leaving, therefore.