1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving after maternity

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by haaff, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I need some advice. I'm not sure i want to go back to work after my maternity leave, but i know that i have to work for 13 weeks to keep my half pay. Is it ok to only work for 13 weeks? When do i tell work that this what i want to do? Don't i have to give a terms notice?

2. I'm not in this position myself, but I think this has come before quite a while back. I believe you still have to give the school the proper amount of time to resign, which is about half a term. So, if you wanted to leave at XMas, you'd have to hand in your notice before October half term.
    Don't forget, holidays are counted as part of those 13 weeks. If I were in your position, I'd try to work it out so that my 13 weeks ended at either Xmas, Easter or Summer, just so it's easier for the school to get a replacement to start. You don't say when you are planning to return.
    I'm not entirely sure if you can just do 13 weeks and then leave at any point in the year, such as halfway through a term, but I'd check with either your LEA or union for clarification.

3. you can leave at the normal times (christmas/easter/august) so long as you resign by the normal resignation dates (october31/january 31/may 31).
    the 6 weeks summer holiday would count towards your 13 weeks if you resigned by may 31st.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

You also don't have to return full time- not even to do pro rata. You could do one day a week for 13 weeks if you wanted to (and your HT agreed).

5. Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that if you were full time before, you had to go back full time for those 13 weeks, so if for example you were going back 0.5 you would have to work 26 weeks.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Clematis is right.

7. Thanks for all your messages. I'm thinking of returning somtime before the summer holidays so I can count the 6 weeks of summer as part of my 13 weeks. Do I come back and then tell work that I only want to do 13 weeks? Or should I tell them before I even return from maternity around easter?

8. You would need to tell them by the summer half term as you would normally if you were resigning to finish at the end of the summer. If you arrange to go back say just after half term you would need to tell them before you go back. Hope this make sense!

9. Yup- if you're talking about this year, you are too late to have handed in your notice- you have to do it by 31st May. If you're talking about next year, say that you're returning 7 weeks before the end of term (which may well be the first day of May half term anyway) and then hand in your notice before the 31st May, then you'd only work until 31st August and not have to pay your money back.

10. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I thought that, too, but a couple of cases of people coming back for 13 weeks and doing just a few hours a week recently made me ask someone (baby brain can't remember now who confirmed it) and it's true.
    I suppose it could be dependent on your LA/HT...