1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by amyjofrisby, Sep 20, 2019.

1. amyjofrisby

amyjofrisby New commenter

Hi there..

I am currently on maternity leave. I am due to go back to work 1st June 2020.
    There are exactly 13 weeks and 1 day from 1st June to 31st August, obviously 6 weeks of this is summer holidays. Would i be able to hand in my notice stating that aug 31st will be my last working day and not have to pay back maternity pay??

Many thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would double-check with HR, just in case they only count full weeks running Sun-Sat. However, if half-term is the previous week, you'd be better to go back from Sat 23rd May anyway, and collect full pay for half-term, and then you're definitely safe. Well done for timing the baby well :cool:.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I realise I didn't give a straight answer to can you hand in your notice for Aug 31st, and yes, provided you do so by 31st May. I would recommend giving the school a heads-up that you're plannng to leave at the end of the year, but not actually handing your notice in until nearer the time, just in case of any change in circumstances (eg partner made redundant and you decide they'll stay at home and you'll return).